Subwoofer Height/Feet Adjustment

greg0320

Just purchased Paradigm Seismic 12. While feet appear to be supporting sub, carpet pile is so thick, I cannot really see any space between sub and carpet. What height should feet be raised on sub? Should there be a clearance between carpet and downfiring woofer, or as long as feet are supporting weight of sub, does it matter?

Thanks

Greg

Just purchased Paradigm Seismic 12.  While feet appear to be supporting sub, carpet pile is so thick, I cannot really see any space between sub and carpet.  What height should feet be raised on sub?  Should there be a clearance between carpet and downfiring woofer, or as long as feet are supporting weight of sub, does it matter?

Thanks

Greg

it depends on what the cutoff frequency is. you will have to decide if you notice any diff by changing the height of the cabs off the floor to get some clearance. If the crossover frequency is set high (120hz or above), you may need to create a small base the size of the cabinet to put on the carpet first, then put your sub woofer on the base.

Just purchased Paradigm Seismic 12.  While feet appear to be supporting sub, carpet pile is so thick, I cannot really see any space between sub and carpet.  What height should feet be raised on sub?  Should there be a clearance between carpet and downfiring woofer, or as long as feet are supporting weight of sub, does it matter?

Thanks

Greg

it depends on what the cutoff frequency is. you will have to decide if you notice any diff by changing the height of the cabs off the floor to get some clearance. If the crossover frequency is set high (120hz or above), you may need to create a small base the size of the cabinet to put on the carpet first, then put your sub woofer on the base.

Thanks

Greg

Ditto Ditto Ditto :)

If there isn't much of any room you can see then you'll want to separate it slightly from the carpet. If there's an inch or two then you're fine. Any less and you'll be limiting the output of the sound coming from the cone, but not the radiators.

These are some things I did with my low down firing sub on thick carpet. I made a board to place under sub on top of carpet to better reflect the bass. I removed the original sub feet. Placed small 3/4" pieces of boards at sub corners until I reached a bottom height that seemed to give me the best output. I placed new coned style feet from Parts Express on sub and adjusted them to new found desired height. You can make new higher feet out of wood easy enough if you do not want to buy new ones. Move sub in and out from wall to find best sounding output from wall reflection. An inch or less at a time can make a difference. My sub is in corner for corner loading also. Have fun.

worst case scenario, place the sub on its side.

You can only place a Seismic on the FRONT ,since the sides have PR's and the amp plate has to be cooled.This will reduce the output,since the down firing woofer is closest to the floor when facing down in its optimal configuration.

I would buy vert tall rubber feet and remove the spikes,or better as was pointed get a MDF or thicker plywood sheet cut to the size of the subwoofer,so the four spikes bite into the sheet,elevating the sub.

You can only place a Seismic on the FRONT ,since the sides have PR's and the amp plate has to be cooled.This will reduce the output,since the down firing woofer is closest to the floor when facing down in its optimal configuration.

huh? point it at the wall.......