Chicogo area forum memebers

I am in toen Monday and Tuesday nights next week for a trade show at McCormick Place.

Any Blues club recomendations?

Hey,

I lived in Chicago for a few years and was into the blues scene,try around Markette college.Cant remember the streets but look for a place called Kingston Mines.There is a strip by the college with about 4 or 5(used to be)blues clubs one owned by Muudy Waters(I think)been awhile,were talking 1986.But I know they are still there!

Greg

Buddy Guy's Legends
Kingston Mines
Blues ETC.
Blues on Halsted
The Checkerboard Lounge - just moved and reopend near the University of Chicago - Hyde Park

Pick up the Chicago Reader - a free publication in most bookstores, coffee shops etc. and you'll get a great list of clubs. These are just a few of the many.

Buddy Guy's Legends

Kingston Mines

Blues ETC.

Blues on Halsted

The Checkerboard Lounge - just moved and reopend near the University of Chicago - Hyde Park

Pick up the Chicago Reader - a free publication in most bookstores, coffee shops etc. and you'll get a great list of clubs. These are just a few of the many.

Yes,Buudy Guy not Muddy Waters,been awhile.

Greg

You have the opportunity to hear one of America's truly "master" musicians in Chicago on Tuesday night. You will hear PLENTY of the blues from this man even though he is a jazz artist. I am talking about one of the truly UNIQUE voices on the tenor saxophone, an artist I have held in the absolutely HIGHEST esteem since I first hear him over 20 years ago. He never leaves Chicago and I have only had the opportunity to hear him once and that was about 8 months ago. I didn't get to hear him on the South Side on his home turf, but instead in a much larger and fancier venue. On Tuesday night you can hear this 84 year old GOD of the tenor sax. Call first to make sure the gig is on, but get your butt down to The New Apartment Lounge and hear the MAN, Von Freeman!

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/29183,0,1605264.venue

ChicagoThirty.jpg

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19503

Good advice in this thread...have fun!

What the heck is Markette, btw? I've been here most of my life and never heard of it. Marquette University, maybe? That is in Milwaukee, though...

LOL,

Is it Depaul?,man been so long,definately getting older!

Greg

While not really blues, Patricia Barber is playing at the Green Mill, 4802 Broadway, on Monday at 9PM. She is great.

I checked out Alan's tip, and Von Freeman is indeed scheduled to play at the New Apartment Lounge on Tuesday at 10PM.

You're lucky, you couldn't ask for two better choices.

I spent the last 2 nights at Kingston Mines. Really great staff in

addition to the musicians. I like a place I can run a tab as a newbie.

I saw

Monday

-John Primer

-Liz Mandville Greeson (hung out with her bass player while Primer was playing)

Horn section from Stevie Wonders band came in to jam with the Greeson

Band about 3:00 AM. He was in town for a private function put on by Dow

Chemical somewhere else in town. Trombone solo was just amazing!

Tuesday

-Joanna Connor

A female guitar player like no other I have ever seen.

Slide and a Les Paul is a draw for me anyway. Too tired on Tuesday I

left at 2:00 AM because I was falling asleep. Had to drive home today.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Allans suggestion was excellent I felt I had to get the Kingston Mines experience. 2 stages with no recorded music was HOT.

http://www.kingstonmines.com/flash/main.html

• 2 weeks later...