I posted a wanted ad in the local paper!

BigBusa

I am always in search of that elusive great buy on A set of Klipsch speakers. The pair of KHorns that's been sitting in someones cellar for decades in perfect shape after they were inherited from the wealthy family member who passed away years ago. Yes, I am addicted to the older klipsch speakers! I put a wanted ad in the local paper and have gotten a few calls but no dust covered gems or holy grails ...yet.

So far ...

A pair of KG4s

A pair of forte II's

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - coming soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-07-2001 at 07:59 PM

I made the ad pretty generic. I didn't want to make it too obvious that I was looking for a set of Khorns or similar. So far eveyone wants top dollar for their speakers.

WANTED:. one pair of older Klipsch stereo speakers, any finish, condition & size. Bigger is better. (Albany, NY) (518) 465-xxxx

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

Busa,

The thing that I have found by posting a "Wanted" ad is the sellers know they have the upper hand. You're the one wanting the merchandise, they don't really want to sell it but...if you give me $200 more than it's worth... I might let it go. Smile.gif

I posted a "Wanted" ad on AudiogoN a while back for some Epic speakers (CF-3's or CF-4's) because they just don't show up that often (made from '94 - '96). I must have gotten 5 Emails from people all over the country offering me theirs for $900 to $1500. Plus I would have had to pay shipping.

I decided to scratch the Epic pursuit (sold my CF-2's to my sister for $500) and ended up with a pair of Chorus's that I bought in Stuart, FL (2 hr drive) and a pair of Chorus II's in West Palm (3 hr drive) all for $1100. These speakers are mint and look brand new. I also don't think the Epics can keep up with the Chorus's so feel I'm better off now, and saved some money in the process.

Just keep your eyes open and those speakers will come to you...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike you're totally right. I figured I'd test the waters. See what was out there locally. $30 for 10 days ...it has been worth it. cwm27.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

BigBusa-

I like your idea! I agree with Mike in that if the owner knows you're hungry for something they have, they'll hold out for top dollar. "Retro" is so fashionable these days, most folks know aging technology is increasing in value, so we're kinda stuck. However, there must be a clever way of wording the message so that the seller won't be tipped off. You live in Albany, huh? Well, I live in Rochester. Between the two of us, maybe we can scour the entire state for K bargains! I found a sweet pair of 1977 Heresys over here--would love to find a pair of K-Horns and/or Cornwalls as well.cwm11.gif

How about an ad in a women's magazine, like Ladies' Home Journal? It could go something like: "Ladies! Surprise your husbands and rid your home of those big ugly boxes they call speakers! We'll come in while hubby's away and replace those outdated eyesores with barely visible, tiny cubes! Just think of the room you'll have for things like quilts and figurines once those klunkers hit the road! (Prices slightly higher for REALLY big speakers.) He'll be so impressed!"

fini

That's a good start, but then we'd have to gather up some of that Bose Acoustimass wreckage to replace it. That worthless crap is so expensive, our bottom line would dearly suffer! Convincing Toots that she needs to shell out $1500 for the switcheroo ain't gonna work, I don't think. What else could we try?