Khorn plans

jackpod

Wasn't it possible at one time to get plans for building your own Khorn cabs? Are plans still available? I would like to give it a try. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get drivers, they appear to be all over Ebay. I actually do have a pair of JBL D130's I don't know if they would be as good as the original K33 woofer. I've had these drivers since the late 60's, been packed away in boxes for a lot of years.

Jack

Wouldn´t it be better to build a jubilee? easier cuts and assmebly and better design (it is an improved khorn bass bin) put whatever you want on top, et voila! I wish I had a shop to build a jubilee or someone would offer to build me a clone....so that is what I think you should do. search old opsts and you will find DIY clone instructions. tony

Wasn't it possible at one time to get plans for building your own Khorn cabs? Are plans still available? I would like to give it a try. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get drivers, they appear to be all over Ebay. I actually do have a pair of JBL D130's I don't know if they would be as good as the original K33 woofer. I've had these drivers since the late 60's, been packed away in boxes for a lot of years.

Jack

Many will offer you SpeakerLab K construction plans for a cost. These plans usally do not include the crossover design....there have been many desing version. The most common copy being circulated is a copy of a copy which only has 22 pages instead of 28.

The crossover schematics can be found on this fourm by doing a sertch. There is a few folks on ebay selling speakerlab k plans for as cheap as 12 bucks.

I have seen cut plans on this fourm, as well as other sites, but cut plans and a construction guide are two totally different things.

If you are building k-horns for the fun of it, have fun and enjoy. But if you are building to save money, not sure if going the home construction route will save you money, especially when you factor in the cost of your labor man hours to do so.

Another option is to get a set of patrician IV construction plans. these plans were produced by electro-voice and also available on e-bay. these plans have helpful construction information.

klipschorn.pdf

Jack

The crossover schematics can be found on this fourm by doing a sertch. There is a few folks on ebay selling speakerlab k plans for as cheap as 12 bucks.

post-22082-13819301635088_thumb.jpg

Jack

Jack

Jack

Jack

Jack

Jack

Jack

Jack

post-22082-13819301636208_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the info...

Thanks for the idea about the Jubilee, i'll do a search. I actually owned a Patrician 800 back in the early 70's, couldn't find a mate and sold it (I was young and foolish back then, now i'm old and foolish!) I'm not looking to build my own to necessarily save money. I have a garage full of tools and sounds like it would be a challenge, my time is well just that, my time. As far as the crossover, Aren't the drivers and crossovers the same in the La Scala, Belle and Khorn? I still have the AB's that came with my Belles (i bought a pair of Bob Crites AA's) I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion about the D130's working in a horn load, too many years ago to remember but back in the 70's when I played music I thought we used D130 in horn loaded cabs for PA, but i could be mistaken.

Again, thanks for the ideas and info,

Jack

Wow, thanks for all the info...

Thanks for the idea about the Jubilee, i'll do a search. I actually owned a Patrician 800 back in the early 70's, couldn't find a mate and sold it (I was young and foolish back then, now i'm old and foolish!) I'm not looking to build my own to necessarily save money. I have a garage full of tools and sounds like it would be a challenge, my time is well just that, my time. As far as the crossover, Aren't the drivers and crossovers the same in the La Scala, Belle and Khorn? I still have the AB's that came with my Belles (i bought a pair of Bob Crites AA's) I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion about the D130's working in a horn load, too many years ago to remember but back in the 70's when I played music I thought we used D130 in horn loaded cabs for PA, but i could be mistaken.

Again, thanks for the ideas and info,

Jack

Q - Aren't the drivers and crossovers the same in the La Scala, Belle and Khorn? I still have the AB's that came with my Belles (i bought a pair of Bob Crites AA's)

A - AA's were used in k-horns, belle's, and lascala's. AB's were used in belle's. The Belle's AB network has a different frequency disvison scheme than the AA's and probally uses differnent transformer tap settings. A K-horns with an AB network would operate, but would sound different from a k-horn with an AA network.

q - I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion about the D130's working in a horn load

a - I used various PA drivers in k-horns over the years. If you search the site for threads about "horn throat", you'll find articles about the considerations to keep in mind if you go the PA driver route.

I personally don't recommend using a PA driver in a k-horn, but would use it in a lascala intended for out door use.

I tried the D130 many years ago in Khorn It was disapointing. Later the JBL 2205 was used & was a good match but it was the very early 2205 ( with 5 corrigation outer surround) JBL later revised that raising Fs to what is now 2226. The K33 is hard to beat I would recommend staying with that.

I think I am going to give it a try. I have looked them over several times, it will be a complex project but one piece at a time, I am pretty sure I can do it. I would like to just jump in, but if I work at it slowly in between other projects. I have never worked so hard or been so busy since I retired. I've been searching for drivers. I think i want to modify the top section so that I can put in a pair of Dukane Ionovacs in each cabinet. I have been experimenting running 2and 3 pairs of Ionovacs on my Belles along with the stock K-77s, the Ionovacs are electronically crossed over at 3500hz driven by a mac240, they sound really good. Once i get started i'll be sure to keep posting

Jack