My Yamaha RX-V1 Won't Turn On

RoseRx

I was switching surge suppessors earlier today and now my Yamaha RX-V1 A/V receiver won't turn on manually or w/ the remote. I followed all the trouble shooting recommendations e.g., unplug x 1 min & replug, reset Impedence Selector. Any recommendations?

First, make sure the circuit breaker on the surge suppressor isn't tripped.

Next, I'd start looking for blown fuses.

Your Yamaha may have fuse holders accessible on the rear of the unit, or you may have to remove the cover. If you are not comfortable poking around the innards of electronic components, best leave it to a tech. Capacitors store electricity and can bite you even if the unit is unplugged.

James

James,

Thanks for your reply. I also replugged it directly into the wall and nothing. I looked for fuses in the rear panel, but I didn't see any. There is no mention of fuses in the owner's manual, so they probably don't want to encourgage wannabe techs.

Glenn

Try leaving it unplugged for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes this will work as the unit will reset itself. If this doesn't work there must be a fuse somewhere on the back. Some units have elaborate protection devices built in for power failures, speakers shorted, etc.

JJK

I appreciate your help & advice, but the unplugged x 5 min didn't help. I can't find a fuse on the back panel, so it must be internal. I guess I'll have to unhook everything, which I am dreading & take it in for servicing. There are no authorized Yamaha service ctrs where I live, so I going take it to an independent or maybe Best Buy. I know there is prob a $25 diag fee, which can be applied towards the repair.

I bought it used from a guy that was moving overseas. How can I tell the age of the unit and is the warr transferrable? I went to the Yamaha site & there are no auth service centers within 100 mi of where I live. I will try unplugging the spkr wires, however.

Thanks!

I'd contact Yamaha and take it ANYWHERE but Best Buys. If they didn't sell it to you or sell you an extended warranty, why would they offer any better service than any other independent center. I'd rather drive or ship it than let them do the same.

Good luck, I had the local guitar/PA shop work on my RXV850. It was nearly beyond economical repair by their standards ($150 to repair an old Dolby ProLogic unit), but if I don't consider the original purchase price (a sunk cost), then buying that receiver for $150 was a reasonable deal.

Michael

Before you take it anywhere, I'd pull the cover off and take a look inside to see if you can find any fuses. If you've had it unplugged for a day or so, you shouldn't run into anything that will bite you.

There are usually just a couple of screws holding the cover on. Allways worth trying the cheap and easy before you get into the expensive and hard.

James

Ubfortunately, the power strip is OK. That would have been the easiest solution vs unplugging everything & hauling all 64lbs into the repair shop.

I also unplugged & replugged the speaker wires, but that didn't help either.

It might be harder without the sales receipt, but call Yamaha. From the serial no. they can tell if it was at least built within the last 5 years. They can also direct you as to non factory authorized service centers. Good luck.

Success has been achieved!

My unit apparently reset itself after being unplugged x 48h. You don't know what a relief it is not to have to disconnect everything, haul it to the repair shop, then rehook everything back up, not to mention a repair bill.

Thanks again for all of your help!

P.S. I posed my same problem to a couple other web sites w/ only a smattering of responses vs the doz or so replies here. This is the one for true adiophiles!