Punch anyone?

risingjay

Who here has got a lot of punch in the low end of thier system? I'm talking about it hits you in the chest without using a subwoofer.

I just picked up a QSC PLX 3402 and yes the bass inproved, but the chest pounding just wasn't there like I expected it to be.

My brother-in-law lives next door and has the Corus II's like I do mated to a Sunfire Signature series amp and it will punch you all day long!

Here is what I got:

Chorus II's

Juicymusic Xtreme

AH! 4000 cd player

QSC PLX 3402

Outlaw audio interconnects

Monster Cable M1 series speaker wire.

My room isn't completely sealed but then niether is my brother-in-laws.

What's up?

If your into solid-state gear with klipsch's I can steer you in a couple of directions to look at one amp with alot of punch and very large soundstage is a Forte model 4 that I owned it is just 50 watts/channel the amp had a clone of the same circuit only a higher voltage rail to produce some 200/watts channel known as the model 6 the 50 just smoked the 200 in every area so why did that happen? Well maybe because the Forte was biased into heavy Class A some 12 watts I believe when the 200 watter is likely to have just a couple! Higher bias currents allow greater sensitivity to incoming driver stages the Forte all so had 8 output devices/channel and very large power supply although these points are indicative of performance in my book they aren't necessarly written in stone either but if you look at the best amps you will see these things usually you do not see this in AV stuff typically another great performer was a Harmon Kardon PA2200 I think rated at 100/channel this amp is a real sleeper very musical warm for solid state dynamic as heck I owned this as well and my best friend is now using it as a referance amp to design speakers with.

Aragon 4004 MKII is a class A first 25 watt high bias design and doubles down as impedance halves and smokes a Forte 4 as far as bass slam. And the QSC he has makes the aragon seem like a powder puff amp. And this is all from personal experience. Now as far as depth, soundstage,layering and air sure other amps will excell easily over this QSC but for bass slam you better try a crown k2 or studio reference to beat it or equal in bass slam. And i am yet to hear another ss amplifier as smooth and grain free as the QSC in my listening room.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way to figure things out?

Grab everything from your bro's system except his speakers and set it up in your house. If the bass slam ain't there, it is either your speakers, the old crossovers, or environment(windows, surfaces, positioning.)

If you DO have the same slam, then start swapping a piece of your stereo for his in this order.

1. CD player

2. amp

3. preamp

Like others, I would suspect the positioning/environment is one culprit, and the input sensitivities are markedly different.

If you love that slam, then you are crazy not to RUN to purchase one of the big boy SVS subs, running it off the tape outputs on the preamp. This setup will move enough air to dry you off coming out the shower. It also will allow your speakers to function as they were designed, and avoid the open heart surgery that some enjoy[;)]

but for bass slam you better try a crown k2 or studio reference to beat it

i am yet to hear another ss amplifier as smooth and grain free as the QSC in my listening room.

[{] [;)]

Pro amps ..... for those that want to Rock ....[;)]

my JBL scoops .. slam so hard...it makes you queasy .....

the KHorn ..is a little on the polite side, here ....[6]

OK - teh input mod is changing two resistors in the input circuit of the QSC. I found a guy in Denver who can do teh mod and left a message. He also sells the amps pre-modded and it will not void the warranty.

Any electrical engineers here want to jump in? I'd rather not send out two amps if I don't have to.

Chris

Cut to the chase. The problem is the input sensitivity.

Isn't that what I said ...????????????

No. You said to use put speakers 3 feet in the room, toed in 2.875 degrees and to use 30 gage solid silver speaker wire and if you cannot hear the difference your ears have not been trained.

OK, maybe that's not what you said.

Seriously, to answer your queston, the QSC does not have an adjustable input sensitivity. That's why there is this input mod. It sounds really simple, just change a few resistors. I just want to know which ones to change and the value to change them to.

Cut to the chase. The problem is the input sensitivity.

Isn't that what I said ...????????????

No. You said to use put speakers 3 feet in the room, toed in 2.875 degrees and to use 30 gage solid silver speaker wire and if you cannot hear the difference your ears have not been trained.

OK, maybe that's not what you said.

Seriously, to answer your queston, the QSC does not have an adjustable input sensitivity. That's why there is this input mod. It sounds really simple, just change a few resistors. I just want to know which ones to change and the value to change them to.

If I'm not mistakeing, the Blueberry Xtremes level controls have an output sensitivity of .05V to 2.5V. Shouldn't that mean my pre should be able to drive this amp?

Well, here is my personal conclusion after switching my Bro in laws equipment in place of mine.

Combinations:

Sunfire / Xtereme - Not a big difference

Sunfire / Acurus pre - There it is!

QSC / Acurus pre - Still there!

I do believe once I seal up the room ( which will be done soon) will even add to the punch. But the biggest difference came from switching out the pre. Funny thing is the Acurus was just a working mans pre.

I still believe the Xtreme is an awesome piece of gear.

Any Comments?

One more thing. Anyone looking at the QSC should give it serious thought. Which did I like better between the Sunfire and the QSC? Well, the Sunfire. But......Not by much. It seemed that the Sunfire presented vocals better and a the sound stage was wider. A litle compressed on the QSC, but not to the point where I will sell this amp for the Sunfire.

For the $, if you are on a budget like me, the QSC satisfies my needs. I more than likely will rebuild my Dynaco's, use them for 40-60HZ on up, and let the Subwoofer I build take care of the rest of the bottom end spectrum mated to the QSC.

We'll see.

Good Luck,

I for one have never been as concerned about 20-100 hz not that I don't enjoy good low end but I find that people are often miss informed on the actual power a speaker really uses especially a Klipsch and in reality it doesn't take all that high of continous power to damage them and you can damage them easly and not even know it. try putting a digtal multi-meter on AC voltage and look at some of the average AC readings.

Voltage squared divided by the load impedance is the average power.

2.83 volts across an 8 ohm load is 1 watt for example.

Again good luck!

SET 12

First, "basstalk" is about fishing. Talk Bass is the website that discussed the QSC's.

Chris

This reminds me of a skit from Saturday Night Live. I believe Rosanne Rosanna Danna(sp) said it best.

Well EXCUUUUUUUUUUSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE[:D]

Good Luck,

I for one have never been as concerned about 20-100 hz

SET 12

Set 12,

No disrespect but we established what you were thinking about bass slam with your first post.

And what was that? No disrespect, but don't think for a minute that ten watts can't possibly compete with several hundred for slam and just take a look at the crossovers that I use and then take a good look at yours! and thats just the speaker for an amplifier power supplly for a solid state amp you would need a 2-300,000 uf supply to compete with my 10 watt amp supply and I doubt those amps are that big but its possible, the ten peak that I have exceeds 100db at my chair.

Good Luck,

I for one have never been as concerned about 20-100 hz

SET 12

Set 12,

No disrespect but we established what you were thinking about bass slam with your first post.

And what was that? No disrespect, but don't think for a minute that ten watts can't possibly compete with several hundred for slam and just take a look at the crossovers that I use and then take a good look at yours! and thats just the speaker for an amplifier power supplly for a solid state amp you would need a 2-300,000 uf supply to compete with my 10 watt amp supply and I doubt those amps are that big but its possible, the ten peak that I have exceeds 100db at my chair.

As i said no disrespect. I just interpreted your post as putting quality over quantity. Maybe it was just my mistake. I like the rock show in my room too[:)]