How to install bucking magnets?

cleger

Hi,

I ordered bucking magnets fro my KLF-30s and received them earlier this week. I was under the impression they would be accompanied by instructions but sadly the only thing(s) in the carton were the magnets.

I bought some "Devcon 5-minute Epoxy" and I expect it will work fine, but anyway, the only indication I have re: how to do this is the little stickers on the magnets that read "this side out."

Is that all I need to know? Do I need to orient them any particular way radially/around their axis? Just glue 'em on?

I'd appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Regards,

Chris Leger

cleg, i did all the mags on my 30s. if u do the tweeters u'll probably find they won't fit back through the cabinet holes. i had to file the holes some to get

them in. major pain. u could probably just skip the tweeters if u haven't already.

the rotation position doesn't matter, just w/ that sticker side out so the magnets repel each other.

should probably use the quickest setting epoxy like the

"Instant Epoxy". should be ok though w/ something slower setting. just might want to hold them in place for a few minutes then put something pretty heavy on top to hold em down. since they repel they'll probably

want to slide on u. just keep em in place til they're pretty well set then let 'em sit overnight w/ that heavy object on em.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for the info. Installed them today...

As you pointed out, I had to relieve the holes around the high horn a bit to get them back in. Not a big deal, really.

They're all installed, and I fired the speakers right up once I got them assembled. Devcon says their epoxy sets fully in one hour, and it took that long to get everything back together. By that time, the epoxy in the paper plate I had been using for mixing had set up quite well, and I'm quite sure there was no danger in using the speakers. Devcon 5-minute Epoxy is a good product, and quite well suited to this purpose. It does set up in about 5 minutes. Much less than that, and I think I might have risked misalignment, given the time taken to mix the glue, spread it, and position the magnets.

One thing I *did* notice though... while I was moving one of the middle horns around, I noticed that the little orange washer in one of them was flopping around in its hole. I unscrewed the horn to take a look...

Turns out the horn had been cross-threaded onto the driver at the factory, and wasn't fully seated. Pretty sloppy workmanship. There is really no excuse for this in a $1800@retail product. I screwed it back on properly. It's fine now. Probably a good thing I decided to install the magnets. Otherwise I doubt I would have ever disassembled the speakers.

Left me with diminished confidence in the quality of Klipsch products. cwm10.gif

Still can't beat the sound though. cwm30.gif

This message has been edited by cleger on 11-10-2001 at 04:04 PM

cleger-

I had the same thing happen to my 20's. The cross threaded horns that is. Turns out they more than likely left the factory in the correct assembly arrangement. Due to the rough handeling of most of the KLF series line, some speakers faired the abuse better than others. I've heard stories of entire drivers rolling around in the cabs. This explaination comes from Bob G.

I also took my fist and pounded on the top of the cab to see what kind of resonance these thing gave off. To my horror the thing actually rattled a good deal. I opened up the cab to find that everything was in it's proper place but the midrange magnet was bouncing on it's support shelf when it was jarred. This was also an easy fix. I applied some peel-n-stick felt on the contact area of the mid's magnet and every thing has been fine. Check it out!

HEY, MY THREE-HUNDRETH POST!!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Well, in my case they were clearly assembled this way from the beginning... the horn threads are wrapped in white teflon tape... I could tell by the way the tape had been marked/displaced by the threads. Like I said, the horn was cross threaded... the rubber washer was floating around... and the horn was not fully seated. When I re-installed it, I was screwing into virgin tape. The horn had never been in that far. Hey, good thing I used the word "tape" in that sentence!

Where my speakers are concerned, there is no evidence that they were ever handled other than properly. The only problem I have ever detected is that cross-threaded horn. And it's an internal part.

• 3 weeks later...

Bucking magnets are a cheap and moderately effective way of preventing the magnetic fields from your speaker drivers from affecting a video display (TeeVee set) or other widget that's sensitive to magnetic fields.

If you have non-magentically sheilded speakers, and you place them near a TV, the screen will distort, with red and greenish blobs in the corners, for example. This is caused by the magnetic field emminated by the magnet at the rear of the speaker driver, typically woofers, as they've got the biggest magnets, although larger midrange drivers can do the same thing. A "bucking magnet" is simplay a magnet identicle to the magnet already in the driver. You flip it around, so it's oriented with the polarity opposite to the existing driver, and glue it onto the back of the existing magnet assembly. It won't affect the sound of the speaker (cause it doesn't change the magnetic field in the voice coil gap) but it serves to cancel out, or at least counterbalance, the magnetic field the original driver is throwing.

Effecacy (?spell?) varies, talk to Klipsch before you do it with your speakers.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Bucking Magnets are additional magnet disks that are roughly the same diameter as the magnet on each driver (tweeter, midrange & woofer). They attach to the back of each magnet on each driver. What they do is magneticly shield the speaker from emitting it's magnetic field to other components (i.e.-the t.v. picture tube) and distort the picture with waves and color variation.

If you've never put a magnet up to the picture tube of a t.v.....well, just don't do it to someone who has a hot temper and a small wallet, because the distortion it creates may be permanent.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable (But MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire is coming!)

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 11-27-2001 at 02:24 PM

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by noki139:

Hey, I am about to install bucking magnets on my Forte IIs.

I don't know the size of the bucking magnets, but there is very little space between the back of the K-61 (Midrange) and the cabinet (or the woofer and drone for that matter). I would be interested in how you handle the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll see if this works.

Just thought I'd drop back in here for an update, since I was taking pictures earlier.

That's an old 40" Mitsubishi, with a KLF30 to the right. I installed the bucking magnets some months ago.

Even though the screen looks a little weird/discolored in the photo, beleive me when I say that the bucking magnets work quite well indeed. The only time I notice any colors or distortion is when I move the TV forward to get at the componenets in the cabinet at left. In other words, there is still plenty of stray flux to the front of the drivers, but none that you can see in the TV at the sides and to the rear.

As far as I'm concerned, adding buckig magnets to the Legends is very worthwhile. Thanks to everyone for their help & advice.

regards,

Chris Leger

I think about $125 for the set (ouch!)

Still, worth it, when I consider what I actually paid for the speakers. As far as I'm concerned, I have the best "stereo" speakers I could have bought new at retail a year ago (and I auditioned *many* others, most costing much more) now with the added benefit of "shielding".

• 17 years later...