UPDATE: Newby to Klipsch: Need some help from the masters

Wow, things move quickly. Cheap Klipsch speakers don't last long! The KLF-10's and the LaScala's are gone <sniff>

My decision is down to two other models before i leave (and again, unable to compare them)

RB-5's - or- a beautiful pair of Heresy I's

I've heard nothing but good things about the RB-5's, but the Heresy's are such a classic. I think i'm leaning towards the RB-5's, but that's just on research alone. Anyone here ever have the chance to compare them, or have experience with both?

Again, thanks so much for the informaiton, ultra appreciated!

Cheers,

/Adam

Hello, i've been lurking on this forum for quite a while, and am at the point where i'd love and appreciate some advice from the experienced people here regarding speaker selection!

I am unable to audition the below choices with my hardware, or compare them against each other. I'll also be soon moving to a remote-ish location... i'd like to dedcide reasonably quickly so i can bring them with me (shipping not a concern)

The question: Which Klipsch for me?

The choices: KLF-10, RB-61 or the infamous LaScala's

The setup: I mostly play records, but the occasional CD

Players: Rega P3 (with various needles), Nakamitchi CD (oldie but goodie)

Preamp:

custom tube preamp, phono and CD inputs - 2x12ax7, 2x12au7. Sounds grand

Power amps:

Custom SET KT88 dual monoblocks 15watts, Older Adcom 100 watt SS monster SS (if required...)

Speakers: Help! I have some ols Mission 753's - not freedoms - and they're nice but i'd like to get into sensitive horns.

Music: Rock, blues, classical, electronic, funk, a bit of everything. The occasional party where volumes will increase. The stereo is on most of the day at medium levels.

Room: Medium 15x25, hardwood floor but with large area rug in center, not under speakers, standard celing height. Walls have some bookcases. It's crisp but not ringy in there.

Thoughts:

The KLF-10's and the RB-61's are the same price - a real deal at $300! I found a set of laScala's for three times that, but it sounds like they're worth it. The KLF-10's seem like they're good 'party speakers' with decent hifi performance. The RB-61's seem like decent hifi, but maybe a bit small and less engaging? I'm lusting after the LaScala's, but they're huge, and i'm concerned with placement, size and bass response (as well as sig-other approval...)

Sorry for the massive verbal blather! Anyone ever been in a similar situation? Should i hold out and try to find some hersey's or cornwalls?

Any information whatsoever will be fantastically appreciated. Thank you!

cheers,

/Adam

Hi Adam,

Welcome!!

While all three are good speakers, they are all very different. My choice would be the three-way LaScala by a long margin. IMHO, the extra money will be well worth the difference in sound, especially with your 15 watts of tube power.

Cornwalls are great speakers, too. If you have a line on LaScala's for about $900 (and they're in good condition), I'd buy them. Then go look for a pair of Cornwalls to buy. Then you'll have both. [;)]

The KLF-10 or RB-61, while good speakers, are no competition for the classics.

I'm lusting after the LaScala's, but they're huge, and i'm concerned with placement, size and bass response (as well as sig-other approval...)

Welcome.

Go for La Scalas. They won't seem as big once you get used to them. Other speakers will look like toys, while your La Scalas will seem normal.

Placement is not a problem, although you can fool around with it a little in relation to the corners and toe-in. Relationship to the corners will be a big factor in the bass response. Anyone who claims that La Scalas do not have excellent bass response 1) has not heard them positioned well with good equipment, or 2) doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

Significant other: Why would she want to stand in the way of you enjoying your music. If she can't see the light, find a different significant other who is less controlling.

hi adam !

welcome to the madness hopefully some one might be in your neck of the wood , who might be able extend to your ear the sound of welcome, the la-salaes would be by far the best choice of those given,there was a very nice pair beign offered recently for great value.i own cornwalls and though really like them would not recomend for your situation especially in reguards to partytime, others have reference the lack of bass in the la-sales and from what i have heard of other klipsch speakers cant imagine this . im sure others will offer advice baised on experience.best money you can spent is in speakers which ever you finally choose.

Thanks for all the replies!

Regarding the type of music question: my music tastes are pretty diverse. I've inherited an amazing vinyl collection from my stepdad. Hundreds and hundreds of excellent titles. Mainly 70's rock and classical. Cream to Yo Yo Ma and everything in between. On CD from my own collection there's a wide selection of stuff that i'm really into: Out Hud, Fourtet, Goldfrapp (very interesting stuff), The Shins, Radiohead, Beck, Debussey, Bloc Party, etc. Modern, dynamic, sometimes a little electronic. Right after that i might throw on an Arvo Part disc, so there really is quite a range.

I want to audition the LaScala's, so i might drive over to the guy who is selling them and give them a boo.

It sounds like most people highly recommend them so i think that's where i'll start my evaluation and move from there. 15 watts should be plenty with the LaScala's. Just the size i'm worried about....

Any other thoughts on the Chorus, Forte, Heresy, etc?

Of the three mentioned I think the LaScales obviously are gonna be the best performer for your needs.It sounds like your ready to spend about $1K and at that price your choice in Klipsch becomes many.