floor standing speakers as center channel??

kingdave

I just bought a Synergy C-2 on ebay for $80 (good deal) but now that leaves me with 2 c-2s and no rear surrounds. So i was thinking of using my c-2s as rear surrounds but then i need a new center channel. I would want something as big as or bigger than the C-2. RC-7s are going for about $500 on ebay right now (thats a good deal right?). But I am not sure if i want to spend that much money. Plus I'd want all my gear to be synergy so that it sound matches better. So I was thinking maybe throwing a synergy floorstanding in there as a center. Would that work?

dave

• Moderators

Throw them all away.

No just kidding if i were you i would use whatever you have as mains for a center , if it will fit that is is the best match.

Match at least the 3 front.

What are your front main speakers now? The ideal setup is to have the front 3 (and the surround speakers, if possible) be exactly the same speaker model. Not just the same series (i.e. Synergy, Reference, etc). That way each speaker will have exactly the same timbre, drivers, efficiency, etc.

centers are designed to work better with surroundsound that floorstand speakers. This is due to the fact that it has a slightly bigger dispersion, it can be placed alot better, and it is more focused on vocals then bass as you want voices to sound clear.

For what it's worth, "center" channel speakers are a severely compromised design in an attempt to get a speaker that is more easily positioned in the correct location. Ultimately getting the center channel in the right position is one of the more important variables, but a center channel speaker identical to your mains is the absolute optimum approach.

And I wouldn't recommend the RC-7 unless you plan on upgrading your mains in the near future [;)]

For HT applications your biggest concern right now will be a timbre matched system. I also don't think mixing the newer synergy stuff in with the older line would be a good idea.