Cornwall I vs. Cornwall II vs. Cornwall III

Heideana

My understanding of why the Corns got the pink slip in the early 90's

has to do with what was seen as a crowded product mix (and the new

ownership not knowing the product).

Klipschorn: No way while PWK was alive that it was going out of production.

LaScala: Solid industrial customer base, and a good consumer

base. Priced far enough below the Klipschorn to not steal sales,

as well as having sonic deficiencies in comparison.

Heresy: Keep it as the bottom of the line, intro, center channel, small speaker.

Cornwall: A big Heresy, no "distinguishing" design features. Steals

sales from the LaScala. Priced too far below the LaScala but having a

sound that rivaled it (to many). Dangerous in the mix and therfore

expendable.

Wow...cutting the CW II sounds like a classic "administrative oversight" mistake!!! Thanks to all all of you for calming my "jittery nerves" about the CW III and especially to everyone who kept telling Klipsch to bring the CW back into production. In terms of listening, its' like a dream come true, although it makes me a bit overcritical when I'm listening to my RF-7's on our HT set-up....

In the meantime, I'll keep listening until the big boys start to write up more intelligent reviews and comparison to its' predecessors...

• 5 years later...

I've never heard the cornwalls III's,but I've owned everyother heritage klipsch "except Belles",The chorus II's were great,better than the cornwall II's,"my opinion".The Klipschorn's are just a differant beast all together.I currently have a pair of cornwall I's,with Bob Crites type B crossovers,"rest is original".Later on Im going to update the woofers "bob Crites" and Im going to try and find a bigger midhorn,but keeping my k-55v's......I know a guy that builds speakers,and maybe he can build me a custom set???? If I had to choose only one speaker from klipsch it would be the cornwall's. If I had the $$$ to buy my dream speakers,I would have to say Jbl's or Volti's "made in maine" I heard a pair of Volti's,and I have to say.....I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!

I have a pair of C1's and a few years ago, on a trip shopping for 3-series reference stuff at a Klipsh dealer, I just happened to listen to the C3's with my test CD's.

I had no doubt whatsoever that the C3's had a tighter and better defined sound stage, and the bass was a bit cleaner and tighter. I put the improvement in the soundstage to moving the mid and high horns to the front of the cabinet to reduce diffraction. I chalk the bass improvement to the tighter MDF cabinet and a better woofer. I think the main difference between the C1 and C2 is to front mount the drivers and eliminate the rear hatch, which should also show the improved sound stage. When I get around to rebuilding my C1's, I think I'll do the C2 improvements and see if it helps. I'll also do a bit of searching here and see what other simple improvements can be made, especially a better woofer. My C1's are in fine shape electrically and mechanically, but need new veneer and a set of risers.

The only review that matters, is YOURS, Enjoy your dream.........

oldbuckster... if you are seeing this Wink this is still the best advice.
some more great advise from oldbuckster earlier in this same thread
I don't know about C1, C2, or C3, but I do know you got nice speakers, new, and no one else has used them, or abused them..........................

When I get around to rebuilding my C1's, I think I'll do the C2 improvements and see if it helps. I'll also do a bit of searching here and see what other simple improvements can be made, especially a better woofer. My C1's are in fine shape electrically and mechanically, but need new veneer and a set of risers.

I believe the CIIIs have the woofer moved up a bit in the cabinet, which also helped.

Bruce

You can get a new set of risers from critesspeakers.com,really cheap.I love myC1's,and Im going to do even more upgrades in the near future,like custom mid horns,"twice the size as stock ones". Volti audio sells the handmade horns for around $450,and they also sell the converters $90,so you can still use your stock 1" k-55v's.Volti audio also gave me some great advise on adding a middle support brace to the rear panel of my cabinets.

• 5 weeks later...

So what do you gentlemen think it’s better or more desirable?

CW I or II: better HF and MF with the dip at 400-600 HZ

Or

CW III: no dip, but lacking HF and MF (because of the Heresys horns used)

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the Cornwall and the Heresy have always used the same MF/HF section....and there is definitely no lacking HF/MF on the CW III.

To me it's a no brainer - a new CW III should be better than the old stuff. Fresh diaphragms, fresh xover, intentional sonic improvements, etc... It's not like the engineers at Klipsch would release something that sounded worse.