Fatman Corner Horn (18 in?) out of Ontario

D-MAN

I looked into this. Seems line that curved dog-house would be pretty easy to do using slotted oak floor strips. Doesn't seem to be that close in tolerance.

However, I think, I would add two sections, one at the top, one at the bottom, both curved, in the same positions that the straight peices are used in the K-horn.

The curved shape, probally also adds some internal volume.

Now that is a big horn. Bet if it was laid down flat, you could play regulation pool on it.

I'm just not sure that its big enough for an 18Hz wavelength -let's see that a wavelength of 62.7 feet and a 1/8th space mouth size of 39 sq. feet (if I did the math correctly) or a circle approx. 16 feet in diameter. (that's 16 feet in case it gets cut off by the page).

How much additional wall do we need to get there? - hard to tell, we really don't have enough information.

Hmmmm.

I have been watching this guys auctions for awhile. Amazing woodwork. I have contacted a few people who have purchased from him on Ebay.

He has sold a handful of his 200Hz Teak wood exponential horns. Talked to a guy in Germany who has them and is very pleased. Good shipping.

I visited one of the audio forums. Can't remember which one. People were inquiring about the Fatman. Will work with JBL2241 or the Eminence 18 Kappa. He quotes "flat from 20-80Hz and good out to 300Hz"

The Vitavox cabinet is unique in that it has removeable "waveguides" to get it in the door. His last set was with 18" peavy woofers.

It would be tough to pay shipping from Canada. Ebay name is First Octave Audio. I think there is "Bentwood Horns" in there some where...maybe a local name. Not sure.

Dana. On my "Basic Basshorn questions" thread, I was trying to get to single 15" woofer version of the Vitavox. I like that shape/design...very pretty. The same one shown on the "Build a Jubilee" thread a few das ago by Seti. You don't know whre I could get my hands on those plans do you? The Vitavox.

jc

JC, no I have not actually ever seen the plans for the Vitavox (it has a name that I ran across, but I forget what that model was called). I posted it somewhere, probably here in Updates...

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the plans either! I have seen the layout for it in a patent by the guy who started Cerwin-Vega for adding cardioid back-lobing onto existing horns, and the Vitavox was one of them. I'll draw a bad rendering of what the layout looks like, I also assume from the height of the enclosure that it is a dual-driver lashup... probably good to 50 or 60Hz, I reccon.

DM

post-13458-13819302017002_thumb.jpg

Cerwinski was the patent holder. That's the only example that I've ever seen and I'm assuming that that is the basic layout of the Vitavox. Don't hold me to any of this...

The Vintage Audio Trader website refers to this model as the "Canadian Shell Type" Vitavox design.

DM

Wow. I was thinking it folded more than once. I can see the dual driver working in that setup.

So with the Vitavox-like cabinet, probably won't be hitting in the 30HZ range w/o the drop in dB. I guess he leaves that up to his "Fatman".

No, but in a good corner, it might go as low as 40 or so. Not like a Khorn, but it would likely also crossover higher, too, being that the folding is very limited. Just guessing, never heard them.

Probably closer to the Khorn in sound than a La Scala, as a guess, too. Somewhere in between, I should think. Who knows. I can only guess that most of its efficiency comes from having 2 drivers, not due to the horn loading. Corner placement is also going to boost things up quite a bit. It may be a sleeper, I certainly don't know.

One things for sure, it looks like an easy build.

DM

I exchanged a few emails with the guy about a year ago. I was, and still may be interested in his 200 Hz. horn with the BMS 2" driver. I think the pair will work well with the Klipschorn and University Classic. I would like to try them with the Classic with a 300 Hz crossover point.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have Drisko's plans for an 18" version.

IIRC (?) PWK said in a note to my query that 18 didn't make sense.

18" R fun imo in an 8CF Karlson - won't "go low" but have a good deal of impact and distortion is around 2% at 50hz for 30 vrms input.

First Octave is in a suburb of London, Ontario, Canada. I too have exchanged emails with the builder. He invited me to see and hear his handiwork. It's about a three hour drive from here. I'm tempted to jump in the MX5 to guarantee that I couldn't be tempted to bring one home.