(2) RB-5 as Center Channel for 5.1 set up

boston_klipsch

Hello

I just bought a apir of RF-7 today ... And don't have much left for a center channel RC-7

But i have an extra pair of RB-5 that i was using as my front prior to this RF-7

Just want to know if any one ever try using RB-5 or any other Bookshelf as center channel ?

Or is it possible to pair up the RB-5 as a center channel for the RF-7

Thanks

I am sure that a single RB-5 would not keep up with your RF-7's and I don't think there is a way to hook up a pair of any speakers to work for a center. The only single bookshelf I would consider would be the RB-75, and even then I would hold out for an Rc-7. My 2 cents. {edit: It couldn't hurt to hook up one of your RB5's and report back--It wouldn't cost anything [;)] }

I am currently running a pair of RB-3's wired in parallel as my center channel. It is definitely probably not ideal, but since I don't listen very loudly, my receiver is not complaining yet. Paralleling speakers will put an extra strain on the amp, but since they are relatively efficient (I typically draw less than 1/2 watt while listening) there shouldn't be too many problems...

• Like 1

I am sure that a single RB-5 would not keep up with your RF-7's and I don't think there is a way to hook up a pair of any speakers to work for a center. The only single bookshelf I would consider would be the RB-75, and even then I would hold out for an Rc-7. My 2 cents. {edit: It couldn't hurt to hook up one of your RB5's and report back--It wouldn't cost anything [;)] }

My old Sony allowed the use of 2 small speakers for center channel, or traditional center channel speaker. So, yes you can use 2 speakers...........................

can you please lecture how to connect them properly ....thanks

If that question was directed my way, the Sony had 2 connecting points on the back of the receiver, one for 2 speakers, and the other for one speaker. Wuzzer or Nos could probably give better details............Sony had it taken care of no matter how you chose to hook up.................Center Channel 1 speaker or 2...................

You can use two centers but most likely you are going to hear some strange sound effects It will throw your imaging out of whack. Try it with one and then add in the other. Some older receivers and pre-pros had hook-ups for dual center channels and these were intended for use with front projection systems-in the early 90's centers were many times smaller and certainly could not keep up.

Personally, if one RB-5 did not keep up, I would use a phantom center. The RF-7 are too nice to compromise with an inferior center. Also, I have seen two used RC-7 sell for $275 and $350 on a/v forums within the past couple weeks.

Bruschi54

are you the one that bought the RC-7 from the Camera Inc. store in Arlington MA.. from an auction that was ended 3 days ago ?

I totally forgot about the auction otherwise that could have been mine .... Anyhow great price on that RC-7 ...But i was looking for RC-7 in Cherry color ... But thanks for the help

If that question was directed my way, the Sony had 2 connecting points on the back of the receiver, one for 2 speakers, and the other for one speaker. Wuzzer or Nos could probably give better details............Sony had it taken care of no matter how you chose to hook up.................Center Channel 1 speaker or 2...................

I don't know if I'd bother trying to hook up a pair of bookshelf speakers either in series or parallel for your center. Your RF-7s are going to blow the RB-5s away.

They Sony has + and - connections for two center channel speakers. If a person was only using one center, you would use the + from the one center channel output and the - from the other.