Syd Barrett dies at 60

BobbyT

Syd Barrett, one of the original founding members of Pink Floyd has left us. R.I.P

LONDON (AP) -- Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman - who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement - confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd with fellow Cambridge student Roger Waters in 1965 and wrote many of the band's early songs.

He got the name of the band from two old blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. Pink Floyd's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene. It was the first British group to do light shows in concert and its music and style was weird even for that era.

The 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" - largely written by Barrett - was a commercial and critical hit. The group, with additional band members Nick Mason and Richard Wright, came to be known as England's premier acid rockers.

But the band did a turn for the worse when Barrett became mentally unstable from the pressures of drugs and fame and had to leave the band in 1968 - five years before Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon."

Barrett spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge.

Guitarist David Gilmour, another Cambridge student, took Barrett's place.

A small, private funeral would be held, the spokeswoman said.

I saw his obit in the NY Times this am and felt really sad...he was so far ahead of his time, kinda like the metrosexual/bisexual freak before Bowie. The first Pink Floyd hit he wrote was about a transvestite...it was relic by the time I was in high-school. Then there was all those sci-fi guitar sounds and the shiny metal telecaster as I recall...

May his soul rest in peace

Thanks for posting, BobbyT, and Heideana - your reference to "Relic" was quite clever, although I'm feeling a bit that way myself these days.

And about Sid getting all his royalties, PF treated him like he never left the band - and many albums have some oblique reference to Sid. Wish you were here. RIP Sid Barrett

Hamish

These coming days lots of PF will be played in my house. R.I.P.

Has the PULSE CD been released in Europe yet?

I'm gonna spin Piper again tomorrow. Just can't get those haunting child-like melodies out of my head "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like...."

Michael

I'm gonna spin Piper again tomorrow. Just can't get those haunting child-like melodies out of my head "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like...."

Michael

I don't know if it's been released, I'll have a look. Now I suddenly have a craving for original pressings of these early records. Nothing better to reminisce while listening and looking at and reading those great covers. Tim

Michael

I don't know if it's been released, I'll have a look. Now I suddenly have a craving for original pressings of these early records. Nothing better to reminisce while listening and looking at and reading those great covers. Tim

this would be a good time to call Dad and get his Floyd vinyl and turn table. My Dad has never opened the posters in his DSOTM album.

Thanks for posting, BobbyT, and Heideana - your reference to "Relic" was quite clever, although I'm feeling a bit that way myself these days.

And about Sid getting all his royalties, PF treated him like he never left the band - and many albums have some oblique reference to Sid.  Wish you were here.  RIP Sid Barrett

Hamish

I was suprised no one had posted it already. especially with this being the Klipsch forum. A lot of music junkies on here.