Sound card recommendations?

Heideana

That is a good question. Manual states only the Creative labs adapter can be used there.

Not sure.

Will the signal remain digital through an RCA connector. Wasn't aware you could do that.

jc

Well. I know that the $17 adapter was a good buy as it converted that one jack into 2 digital inputs and two digital outputs - optical or coaxial. I may consider digital recording at some point.

I guess I wasn't aware the digital signal would continue through RCA conector or just a 1/8 " mini plug.

jc

all in all unless its a optical connection, the digital and analog signal is still being sent through copper (hopefuly) wires is it not? I never knew cables rejected certain signals (ok don't get all crazy, there are optimal cables and there are cables that just work)

Mike and all...thanks for the explaination about why an external sound card is better then an internal one a few days ago, along with various intracacies of getting audio out. After looking at CompUSA and web surfing this afternoon, I ended up going down to Guitar Center to look at what kind of external sound cards were available for recording, etc. in pro-audio. I ended up settling on this M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB unit that will be here next week http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=MAFTP&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=393375

It has DIN, RCA and S/PDIF coaxial in/outs along with A/B source monitoring via 1/4" headphone jack and ability to easily interface with Pro Tools if I ever want use it for portable recording. The specs. look pretty good and was told it should be on par with the DAC's in my Digi002. I also learned that ART stuff is on a quality tier below M-Audio and Lexicon electronics, although I'm not sure how that translates into Creative Audio Audiogy and X-Fi lines...

Did I make to much of a mistake?

Thanks...Hopkins

Sounds like you made an educated decision - no need for buyer's remorse already [;)] But be sure to let us know how it performs.

Btw, ART is top of the middle grade or bottom of the top grade depending on where you draw the line. I suppose I would agree that M-Audio and Lexicon tend to be better, but it's not always the case and is rarely an apples to apples comparison. I will say I have been involved with a few recordings that made the radio and were using ART gear...

So though I agree with the guys at Guitar Center I would also take their advice with a grain of salt too - their profit margin on ART gear isn't as high [;)]

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

This sound card has destroyed every other computer sound card, internal or external that I have ever listened to.

All of the solder joints that count are soldered using a gold based solder as opposed to a lead-tin type solder.

The sound processor actually is powerful enough to need a heatsink.

The fidelity is amazing. On my system, see signature, it really made an impressive difference.

With regards to a USB based sound card, they lack in performance because of the lousy interrupt request (IRQ) that they are assigned. When the PC is asked to perform a more strenuous(sp??) task, if need be, the USB sound card gets placed on the back burner until it has the processor time to finish what it was doing with that sound file.

IMHO a PCI based sound card is the way to go.

The Creative X-Fi has an onboard DAC, as well as a ADC, and is also compatible with a single digital I/O for the fancier digital computer speaker systems/recievers.

With regards to a USB based sound

card, they lack in performance because of the lousy interrupt request

(IRQ) that they are assigned. When the PC is asked to perform a more

strenuous(sp??) task, if need be, the USB sound card gets placed on the

back burner until it has the processor time to finish what it was doing

with that sound file.

That is a driver based issue - not

even universally inherant with all USB devices. The easy work around is

to run at a "higher priority" and increase buffer sizes (I believe it's

called different things for different operating systems). And for what

it's worth, simple audio playback should not involve any processing

whatsoever and is an extremely small load for any computer to handle.

If your computer is having problems streaming music then you've got

bigger issues to deal with.

That's not to say the X-Fi is a poor performer, but if one is just

sending a digital signal to a reciever (which is certainly going to

have better DAC's) then it seems to be a bit overkill since there

should be no change in sound quality.

For what it's worth, all the major recording studios are running

outboard digital conversion and are interfacing either with USB or

Firewire.

firewire is the prefered method but since usb2 is everywhere and firewire sorta died (when the 5g iPod came out only with firewire it marked the death). Firewire though is preferred still as firewire is a constant speed while usb2 can varie as much as 11mbps to 480 mbps (theoretical) and is dependant on the computer load. Try running 3 big programs (adobe, 3dstudiomax, and autocad at the same time)

My M-Audio Fast track Pro arrived and I got it up and running without any real glitches. I initially ran it off a hub on my monitor and had all kinds of background noise. However, the manual recommended running it off a dedicated hub, so I moved my USB connections around and started it up again which got rid all the high-pitch computer stuff and now I hear tape-hiss off older material instead...[:)]. I initially got messages about the device taking more power then the USB hub could provide and will be investingating the wallwart power supply soon...

For the time being, I'm happy that I've managed to salvage an old Dell desk top and convert it into a audio server with the addition of this box and a 500 gig hard drive...I'm sure down the road I'll be upgrading it, but for the moment its' sounding pretty clean over my Cornwall III's and the bass is back that was missing when I used my Echo card in my laptop...[:D]

I spotted this on the M-audio web site: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Conectiv-focus.html

For folks interested in pulling vinyl over to digital, it might be an option...thanks for all the help...Hopkins