Sound card recommendations?

Heideana

Hi...I've been using Echo audio cards in my computers and I'm getting ready to think about purchasing another one for the digital audio server I'm putting together. Is Echo a pretty good brand or does anyone have any suggestions about other brands/models? I'm just looking for stereo out, but want the output to be up to "hi fi" standards...

Thanks for the recommendations!

Jay, the xfi looks like a bit of overkill for my current needs, but would be a great thought for the HT video/audio server I'll eventually build I suspect....

I'm already using an ART stereo tube pre-amp in my little studio and like it a lot. Could I use their digital tube pre-amp http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-DMPA-Pro-2-Channel-Mic-Pre-with-Digital-Outs?sku=180629 to convert the digital out from my audio server into an analog signal to feed into my Rogue TII or is that too odd? The Rogue has a pre-amp in and also uses a passive volume control...the ART unit would make a nice digital input for it if its' feasible.

That unit is for converting that tube preamp sound into a digital signal for recording. I'm pretty sure you can't do playback through it. However, there are balanced outputs and a single optical input. If you already own it, it might be worth trying to see if you can get it to playback from an optical source.

I'm a bit confused about the unit I recommended though...it seems computer playback only comes outta the 1/8" stereo mini-jack on the front?

Opps...Thanks Dr. Who, you're right! I thought it went both ways and it doesn't.

If I understand the ART Phono USB unit, it does go both ways? If so, the price certainly isn't bad for a starter unit to play EAC files on my stereo. Do you think ART's DAC is ok for general hi-fi?

It looks like the 1/8 mini-jack out on the unit is just for head-phones or where you thinking of using that out to plug into a computer speaker system?

ARTcs_Specs0505_USBPhono+.pdf

Mike,

I have been looking at this to be able to get some LPs that I played on (not available on CD) into my computer, so I can burn CDs of them. The ART unit does have line outs as well. You could totally ignore the usb feature if you wanted. See the pic of the back:

post-7149-13819304459998_thumb.jpg

I did some more digging and found the new Echo-MIA and a new M-Audio card that would probably suite my needs, since I don't need the phono output. If I'm reading the specs correctly, the M-Audio card has a bit better specs, but don't know if that matters. I like the MIA's TSR output/input.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Echo-MIA-MIDI-Digital-Audio-and-MIDI-Card?sku=247016

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audiophile-2496-PCI-Digital-Audio-Card?sku=701341&src=3SOSWXXA

Thanks for any thoughts...[*-)]

Mike,

I have been looking at this to be able to get some LPs that I played on (not available on CD) into my computer, so I can burn CDs of them. The ART unit does have line outs as well. You could totally ignore the usb feature if you wanted. See the pic of the back:

I understand that the unit has line outs, but the description says they are connected directly to the phono/line input for monitoring purposes (which implies they DAC doesn't feed it). And the USB would absolutely need to be used for getting the sound off the computer digitally and into the analog audio system. If in fact the DAC drives the lineout, then this unit would be amazing.

I understand what you are meaning now. This is from the manual:

The USB PHONO PLUS is a high quality phono and line level preamplifier with USB, Optical, and Line level outputs. Connectivity issues can be resolved by selecting the Phono or Line input switch on the face of the unit and then routing the outputs into the computer, stereo receiver, or recording equipment. If you plan to use the Phono Plus for SPDIF or TOSLINK sources, the internal A/D converter is disabled to maintain a pure digital signal path via the USB output. Monitoring can be done through the mini jack on the face of the unit (please note that you will be listening post A/D and the computer). The Line level inputs are suitable for any Tape, CD, or other line level source that you might have. Finally, the Phono input section has a built in RIAA standard EQ curve and selectable low cut rumble filter for the most accurate playback and archiving of your records.

========

The headphone is for usb monitoring. THe line outs are from the phono pre only. Too bad. Still, it would serve my purposes.

Bruce

Well you could always run the headphone through an 1/8" stereo minijack to stereo RCA converter, but the quality of that signal would definetly be questionable (since it has the power capability to drive headphones).

I'm actually surprised there doesn't exist a simple cost-effective USB application for this sort of thing. I've been hunting the last few days to no avail. [:(] The only thing so far is the Creative Extigy, but it's nothing to write home about.

Maybe I should just go design one...put this school nonsense into practice.

What would the difference and/or advantage to using this type of device rather then a sound card? [:^)]

It gets the DAC out of the computer where there exists all sorts of crazy EMF that dirties up the signal.

My recommendation for setup is to do what I did. Creative labs JUST came out with there external digital I/O device for there Audigy cards. You can get the basic Audigy 2 Value card and get the:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3876463

That item is hard to find. I got lucky as I was watching that item daily until it was no longer "no stock".

Very happy with my setup. Agree with Mike. Need to use the DAC on you HT receiver.

jc

Does the Audigy 2 Value card not come with a digital output? I thought most had an 1/8" stereo output that carried the digital signal and only required a special adapter to convert to coax. My Audigy 2 LS or watever has an entire seperate front panel with all sorts of digital connectivity that I take advantage of.

Btw, that review site seems to be rather out of date...

Mike. No. The Audigy cards don't come with Digital output out of the box. Yes, you would have to get the versions that have the front breakout box like yours.

They JUST came out with the cable to convert the digital 1/8 inch plug to 4 digital audio connectors. This way you can get the basic Audigy 2 and get the adapter w/o spending much money.

The site is mwave.com. Not a review site. This is where I have purchased computer parts online for close to 10 years now. I used to build computers as a hobby in the past and this site always has good prices and great service.

Of course you can get the front breakout box. However, I have this particular card on the home made pc hooked to my HT. I don't want front wires/hook ups showing.

jc

Oh yes. This is the way I had it before. It was a mini plug coming from the "front-2 channel" going to my HT via RCA hookup. This was an Analog signal. The conversion took place in the sound card. In fact, there was an imbalance between the right and left channels that was killing me.

Now

There is another plug on the card that looks like a 1/8 mini plug but it is different. It is "digital out". The adapter I'm speaking of plugs in here. The connector looks a little different. Now, when I connect the coax cable from the adapter to the HT, it is digital and the conversion takes place on my DAC on the McIntosh preamp.

there is improvement.

jc