how old is your system ?

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering how old your systems are respectively. I used to own a 4.1, although I sold it sometime ago but I know its working fine for 3.5 yrs now. People whose R12 and R26 resistors failed, how old are your systems ? Any special reason why this could have happened or probably due to normal wear and tear. Anybody who has been enjoying the system flawlessly for almost 5 years now ?

• Moderators

I know you can take it or leave it since I work here [:)]...but they gave me a v2-400 system when I started working here 6 years ago and still have it at my desk. No problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, my amp is still dead. I've already replaced R12 and R26, didn't help. I'm going to replace the diode today and see if that'll work. I'm just super pissed that Klipsch made such a huge mistake with those resistors. My board has burn marks all over next to my R12. Its really sad to that they didn't offer a recall on the amplifier units because I can't see how they would make it through testing without noticing that the resister were getting WAY too hot. My experiences with this system have made me not want to give Klipsch my business any more even though they make bad-*** sound equiptment. What good is sound quality you can't trust?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody (waves like Forrest Gump) long time listener to my beloved Klipsch 4.1's, and first time poster. The story begins back in April of 2003 when I purchased my 4.1's from a local Best Buy here in Indy. In October of 2005 (2 years, 7 months if your counting) they quit on me. I contacted Klipsch and asked if they could be repaired. The tech said certainly and promptly sent me a RMA. Of which it didnt occur to me at that time if they were still under warranty or not. Well I just wanting to get my speakers fixed so I didnt have to race with just my headphones. I sent the Cp-1 and the board out of the subwoofer plus 60 bucks for shipping (I think) back to Klipsch as requested by the tech. 8 weeks later I called Klipsch wondering if theres was any news about my pre-amp and amp. The tech said that sometimes they get shipped up to Canada for repair. 8 weeks after that phone call they finally arrive back here. Absolutely made sure there was no wiring issues with any of my satellites before I plugged it all back together. Woohooo they're back to life again. Well not even a week later they quit again. Frustrated about that I didnt bother to call Klipsch back up again for nearly 3 months. Finally I call them one night and the tech says, hmmm, I bet your pre-amp (CP-1) has quit on you. Would you like to order one? Sure I said not wanting to be a dick and rant and rave that they didnt quite get them fixed right the first time. I visa'ed the payment for the new CP-1 to him, he placed the order and a week later the CP-1 arrives. Sweet dreams they sound great. Well for two days they souned great. Yup the're dead again. So my question is. 1) Is'nt there any way Klipsch can provide us with an improved 4.1 circuit board? 2) Just how long is the warranty for the 4.1's and was mine still under warranty but overlooked by the tech on duty that night? 3) Theres nothing wrong with my satellites, and now I may have to trash those to buy a set of 5.1's because Klipsch wont support the product the sold instead of wanting to support products they might sell in the future. Not really ranting here, but dang guys, I really cant afford a new set of "not" refurbished 5.1 speakers right now. I've been a long time Klipsch supporter. Hell I even installed 80% of your fire protection system in your building by the pyramids back when it was being built. I know it wasnt Klipsch back then, but hey.

Symptons as of now. I have perfect sound from my headphones, including using a mic for Teamspeak as we race. So that tells me my sound card (Audigy 2 platinum with lastest creative drivers) is ok. The CP-1 led is red when the button is depressed and not depressed when the speakers are plugged into my soundcard. The CP-1's led is red when unpressed and "green" when depressed when they are'nt plugged into my soundcard which I find odd. Currently just have my headphones plugged into the Audigy. I know I had the connections correct as far as the min plugs. Just wanted to post they symptons in case anyone has a clue if its something simple or if they really are fried again.

P.S., sorry for the long post. :) T.T.

• 4 weeks later...

I got about 4 years out of mine. E-mail'd the promedia address and was told that these are no longer serviced. Any e-mail regarding details on repair are ignored. E-mails asking how long I should expect the equipment to last are ignored.

So far 5 e-mails out and 2 e-mails back. I got the first one back telling me no service is available but I can get a discount on 5.1's. The other e-mail back said I can't get relevant technical data for repair. 1 general rant was unacknowledge. I can half understand that, but I expected at least a polite tell off. 2 inquiries, one indirect and one direct, as to the reliability of promedia 5.1's were ignored.

Thus far the tales I've read have not said much for support. 1 person so far I've read about getting things fixed and mentioned 'Klipsch bending over backards to help'. All else have been general complaints kinda like this one.

Bottom line: They want me to dump more money into a product that has all the appearances as a money pit.

I'll shut up now, thank you for listening.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I dont jinx them, but here goes:

I have been enjoying my ProMedias for about 7 years (8 maybe? I got

them in 1998-1999*). I originally got the ProMedia V.2-400s, and

later purchased the CP-1 in 2001. They have been, by far, my most

thoroughly enjoyed purchase of electronics yet. I use them almost

everyday, and I have never been shy of cranking them up.

I am going to have to guess that you dont hear from people without

problems simply because they dont have a reason to come here seeking

help.

*I still have the original package, in the event I am incorrect and they simply did not exist in 1998.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Iva had my system since early 2002. Some of that time it's sat in my storage unit and a couple of the sats have cracked. I purchased some 5.1 Ultra sats as replacements and everthing is still jamming hard. I can honestly say that I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

This one set of speakers has started a love for klipsch thats as addictive as crack. I will never pay for anything besides klipsch. Everyone that ask for a HT reccomondation gets told to get klipsch.

and it all started when i walked into a pawn shop, saw the 4.1 on the counter for 115 bucks and nearly crapped my pants.

• 3 weeks later...

1st Post....Hello!

Bought mine around 2000 or early 2001. Had to replace the CP-1 after about a year of use and it looks like it time to replace it again. Can not find one as of yet and thats what led me to these forums today.

UPS dropped my v2.400 system off on March 16th, 2000. Have been rockin almost everyday since.

That was about the same time I've gotten my V2.400 system as well! They still work and sound great to this day.

However, it was not always sunshine and roses, though. After about a month of having these, the control pod started acting up (the volume control was sticking and making nasty "scatching" noises whenever trying to adjust it). That was the initial reason why I ended up on these forums in the first place. Thankfully, that was replaced by Klipsch under warrentee. Then when the "v2.400s" were replaced by the "4.1s", I ordered the new CP-1 pod, which is still in excellent condition to this day. However, around 2 years or so later, the amp started acting up, with the bass sounding really nasty and distorted. At the time, Klipsch did not have the repair service, and not wanting to buy a complete new set, I managed to score a replacement amp (the actual plate amp, not the whole subwoofer encloser) off of eBay for around $120 dollars (better than spending some $250 for a whole new set again).. I replaced the amp, and it has been working perfectly since. I guess if this set ever goes kaput, I'll replace them with a set of the ProMedia Ultra 5.1s. However, I've since "graduated" on to getting a complete Reference 7 setup along with a high-end B&K amp, thus I spend most of my time up in the "home audio" sections.

However, that does bring up an intersting question, as I still have the old amp. I wonder if I could still send it in to Klipsch and get it repaired, at least giving me a spare amp (or perhaps sell it on eBay to try to get back my $120)