What cartridge???

tjnif

"Thanks for the info jazz. I haven't even put my HRX together......still using my VPI scout,the dynavector 10x5 does not need a pre amp.... What stepus trans do you suggest??"

Sorry to take so long to get back to you with a response. I unplugged for a couple of days. I also read your recent post about the Dynavector recomendation from VPI. Harry likes Dynavector products, (with no arguments from me), and worth investigating as are recommendations for the Lyra, and Transfiguration products. No one spoke for Benz, but I've heard the Benz Micro Ruby 3 on a VPI TNT table and worthy of consideration.

Back to step up transformers. My step up is made with Tamura trannies which I prefer after hearing a few others. I should also mention that new Tamura trannies are not the cheapest option. Many people like the S&B trannies used in the MU, which also can be made with any other trannies that will fit in the MU cans, some like Jensens, Allan found a classic pair of trannies he likes also, but the name escapes me at the moment. Here's a link to get you started and thinking. I posted this before in this forum some time ago, and is a decent starting point. http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/mic-mcstep-up.htm

Klipsch out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth mentioning is the Shelter step up transformer as well. No, I have not heard it - only heard great things about it - so you would have to get an audition somehow first.

Of course - whether we have heard any of these things or not you would be mad to buy anything without an audition - that should go without saying. All we can do is point you in the direction of things we think might be worth auditioning - to save a little of your time.

Amongst the myriad other high end cartridges is the new range from Clearaudio topped by the mighty Goldfinger cartridge. If this is about bragging rights (which I am sure it isn't - this is an all gold cartridge!!). It is a cart I have heard as well. Frankly it is not my cup of tea - it sounds a bit clinical to me (too detailed - not musical enough) but I know some that will never look at another cartridge again having heard it. At about the $8,000 range it is no bargain - unless you compare to the Clearaudio Insider Reference cart at $12,000.

To put the above into perspective a little - I (as in me - strictly personal opinion) prefer the reference over the Goldfinger and the Airy 3 over the Insider Reference - which makes the Airy 3 a relative super-bargain at around $3000.

Interesting the Dynavector preference from VPI. Their $700 model (number/name?) is supposed to be very similar sonically to the Airy 2 (the forerunner of the Airy 3 Jazman has).

Dynavector also have a high end cartridge (model number escapes me yet again) which is supposed to be right up there too. Price is around $4,000.

I think you have more than enough recommendations now. I would start planning a round trip of suppliers to audition some of these recommendations - AND PLEASE come back and report your observations.

One more thing. Remember a cartridge is only as good as its match to the tonearm (first and foremost) and then to the phono stage and table. If at all possible - get the suppliers to demonstrate the thing on your tonearm - ideally in your home of course.

Thank you all for your recommendations.....It will take awhile to sort out,but it will be well worth it. I'm goin on vacation in a week or so........Where are you in Greece Max?? I,m vacationing there,Island of Kefalonia...... regards all....

Edwin,

Max is certainly right about those Denon DL-103 currently available ('plain' 103 and 103R), but there are other Denon 103's built for lighter arms. My 103D for example runs also on a medium weight arm (so I was told) and the 103 M (I think) was built for light arms like the SME Series III (around 5 gr. mass). So I'd look around. For more info on technical details of cartridges try www.cartridgedatabase.com

Jazman,

no doubt direct comparison will reveal the limits of those Denons and I am the last person not being tempted by 'better'......

Anyway, as you also run the 103D I want to know what you think of the following setup: a gentleman over at the vinyl asylum stated that he liked his 103D best when the arm was not paralell to the platter, but the cart lower (he wrote considerably) at its back (pin side). Apparently he put some kind of elecrical tape on top of the cartridge. Any thoughts on that?

I did play around a bit with VTA....and so far I seem to agree with the parelell (more or less) arm position. But it's always interesting to hear about other users' experiences.

And yes, synergy is pretty important, too. My Holfi, for example, is really great with MC carts...and though it can be adjusted for MM, I really prefer the phono section of my MX110 for those type of cartridges.....strange.

wolfam

Wolfam,

I apologize for this late response. There was once a page posted on the web with photos and some data on the "gazillion" Denon 103 models that were manufacured and sold by Denon. I've been searching for it for two days and can't find it. Guy had posted the link, but the search engine is not helping me find it. As for VTA settings, I prefer the tonearm parallel to the record, but my arm will allow me to make VTA adjustments on the fly if something sounds a bit off on a thicker LP. I've never used anything added to the top of the cartridge, though I am considering purchasing a cartridge weight that VPI now sells for those who wish to add mass to the tonearm.

Klipsch out.

Pretty good thread going on over in Analog on the Audiogon Forum relating to the differences between the Airy and the Universe. Just thought someone might be interested.

jorjen,

The better discussion on the ZYX Universe was provided in the link below to an Audiogon thread, but be prepared for an all "pro's" review.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ranlg&1117141508&openusid&zzDougdeacon&4&5#Dougdeacon

Klipsch out.

Jazman,

thanks for your response. It seems the webpage about Denons is down at the moment.

I have played around with VTA a bit - without adding anything to the cartridge. Well, right now the arm is slightly lowered at pivot and I get a fuller (more body and more precise bass) sound without losing any top detail. In comparison the paralell position could be ever so slightly 'nervous'. But then again one has to live a while with a certain setting to find out if it's spot on.

Wolfram

Pretty good thread going on over in Analog on the Audiogon Forum relating to the differences between the Airy and the Universe. Just thought someone might be interested.

jorjen,

The better discussion on the ZYX Universe was provided in the link below to an Audiogon thread, but be prepared for an all "pro's" review.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ranlg&1117141508&openusid&zzDougdeacon&4&5#Dougdeacon

Klipsch out.

Thanks Jazman. Yes, I read that thread quite some time ago. Very good intel. I am going to have to give one of the Airy carts. a try when finances allow and can get back to the right table and arm. Universe is out of my league cost and system wise.

Did you deal directly with Mehran when you picked yours up? He is close by in the Bay Area, right?

Jazman,

thanks for your response. It seems the webpage about Denons is down at the moment.

I have played around with VTA a bit - without adding anything to the cartridge. Well, right now the arm is slightly lowered at pivot and I get a fuller (more body and more precise bass) sound without losing any top detail. In comparison the paralell position could be ever so slightly 'nervous'. But then again one has to live a while with a certain setting to find out if it's spot on.

Wolfram

Wolfam,

We have different arms, so I really can't speak to the SME setup. I swapped the Denon in this morning, and if the rear of the arm is up, the sound seems to thin a bit. Lowered rear of arm surrenders some of the upper liquidity. I could be more definite if I spent the next couple of weeks playing only the 103D with everything set from scratch for the Denon. When I can add the cartridge weight, I'll visit this again and we can exchange some emails.

Klipsch out.

jorjen,

Klipsch out.

Thanks Jazman. Yes, I read that thread quite some time ago. Very good intel. I am going to have to give one of the Airy carts. a try when finances allow and can get back to the right table and arm. Universe is out of my league cost and system wise.

Did you deal directly with Mehran when you picked yours up? He is close by in the Bay Area, right?

jorjen

Here's another multi-line review from the Audiogon forum more specific to the Airy 2 and Airy 3. http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ranlg&1104115011&openusid&zzDougdeacon&4&5#Dougdeacon

And yes, I dealt directly with Mehran, who lives here in the Bay area. I had set aside a "war chest" so to speak, to attempt to bring out the best in my vinyl. My original plan was a used VPI TNT table, but compromised with a used Aries, leaving more for a great cartridge and some other refinements. The Universe was/is beyond me also, especially with my son starting college, but maybe one day.

The Airy 3 (LOMC) is however, quite satisfying and I may never push the additional step to a TNT table and Universe cartridge. If the dollars came my way though, can't say I'd pass on the 12.6 arm, on a TNT table, and mount a Universe on it. But that's just me, and not the type of expenditure I recommend for other's, unless they are so inclined. Needless to say, comparatively speaking, not an astounding amount to spend for top level vinyl performance.

Klipsch out.