New toy to CREATE music with....

chops

Thanks Indy!

------------------------------

Mike, it DOES have too many strings! LOL

Actually, I was originally going to get a standard 4 string, something under $200 like a Yamaha RBX170 or Ibanez GSR100Z, but leaning towards the Yammie for its dual pickups. Each of them are bottom-of-the-line, but still fairly decent compared to the no-name junk on eBay.

Then my bro's (jt1stcav) boss walked up and talked me into the SR 305 DX which is a $400+ piece (retails for $340). I walked out of the store with this bass for UNDER $200 including tax, thanks to being Jim's bro and the boss being a real cool guy!

It has the "soapbox" DX5 N & B pickups, dual gains, tone and "Active PHAT" tone controls.

I'm glad he talked me into the 5 string bass also! For about 4 hours straight when I got home with it, I played 2 different Metallica CDs, AC/DC and Stranger Cds and tried playing along with them. I have to admit, for not touching a bass in over 13 years (acoustic upright string bass in highschool), I did pretty good for the first time, all by ear no less!

But to get to my point, that 5th string really comes in handy. Those bands, as I'm sure most all others as well, like to get down deep in those notes, and I wouldn't have been able to play 3/4's of the songs without that low B string there.

It's kind of funny too. I have 2 big ole' blisters now on my right hand, one on my index finger and one on my thumb. I don't have any blisters on my left hand, but a couple of the fingers are mighty sore! LOL

Now all I have to do is re-learn reading music and learn the proper way of playing an electric bass! Boy I'm having fun!

BTW, funny but true... it hurts to type! ouch!!! LOL [:P]

On the other hand, your a string Short................nice Bass, good deal, does an open E string send a chill down your spine??.......................

It can when I have it cranked high enough! [;)]

Which, that's the other thing. Since I sold my CT125 tweeter out of my center channel, I have it disconnected from the stereo. So I hooked up another 100 watt Pioneer receiver to it, connected the bass to the receiver, and now I have a bass tone cabinet with 100 watts, a 15" pro driver, and a K-55V on a 511B! And I can play it along with the stereo at almost any volume level!!!

Amazingly enough, it sounds pretty damn good too! [:D]

But it might hurt his wallet, though...LOL! You certainly won't find a late '50s J-Bass for a couple hundred (in excellent original condition it'll bring in well over a couple thousand or more)!

I'm impressed with his playing. Granted, chops has a long ways to go with his technique and fingering, but for someone who's only played classical music on an acoustic upright over 13 years ago and just literally picked up an electric 5-string bass for the first time the other day...well...with more practice he'll be the next Geddy Lee!

Uh, well...not likely...but you get my drift.[H]

nice one Chops... next up, Fender jazz bass? a '57 sunburt? wouldn't hurt your image ;)

LOL... Yeah, like jt said, it would definately hurt my wallet!

BTW, here's a quick pic of my setup. And yes, it sounds amazingly good and has no problems hitting the lowest lows with plenty of oomph! Just as my bro. [;)]

IMG_0934.jpg

chops! thats one awesome looking piece of equipment! those strings on that 5-stringer must really translate to something like the equivalent of a sledgehammer on ur chest! wow

Thanks! Yeah, hitting those low notes can do some major rumbling, especially when I pipe it in through my stereo. [:P]

My bro's in the familyroom right now practicing along with Joan Osbourne's Relish CD...he's rather good at it, I must admit...a few sour notes here and there, but overall he's nailing it![8]

Umm.... He said "Joan Osbourne" and "nailing it" in the same post! LOL [:P][6]