Yamaha M-80

PhilMays

Does anyone have experiance with this amp. I read a ton of good stuff about them and decided to purchase one off of ebay.

My thoughts are to use this amp for my mains and see if that helps for two channel audio.

Currently I have a 5 channel 150 wpc AMC amp. While it beat the socks off of the internal amps on my RX-Z1, I was wondering if the 250 WPC wopuld help bring out the imaging and head room on my RF-7's.

If this were to work out, what do you guys think about picking up say some Yamaha M-70's to complete my 5.1 system (well except the .1).

Thanks

Phil

Great amp from Yamaha in their heyday. Tough to ship and move since all weight is on the left side with the dual heavy transformers. 2 ohm stable and can run three pairs of speakers simultaneously. I would run the M-60's instead since they were made in the same time frame as the M-80, I believe the M-70 was the older precessor to the M-80.

Others to consider the M-65, M-85, MX-1000, MX-800 all excellent amplifiers. The M-85 and MX-1000/U were predecessors to the M-80.

They will make a big difference over the internal amp in a receiver and over most other amps, I think the S/N Ration on those babies is around 120db. Clean and clear.

You are gonna love it if it is working correctly, some have problems with the protection circuit staying on.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure the manufacture date as I do not have possession yet. I can say that I am extremely excited to have this baby on the way. I did get it for $449 total on ebay which included shipping from California to Virginia. I may have paid a little much for it but eveything I read was great so I thought, what tha.....

Any thoughts on how it will mix in a home theater. They will just power the mains.

A comment was made about powering three pair of speakers. What about bi-wire and having they amp section power the LF and HF?

thanks

Phil