I just bought a new integrated amp,now I'm looking for a new CD player

Olaf

I just bought a new integrated amp,now I'm looking for a new cd player.

I bought an Arcam A75 which is very detailed. It's a great match for my RF 3s but now I have found out what a rotten CD player I have. Yeah,it's a mass market Technics and I've been considering an AMC cd8 or perhaps a Cambridge.

Any other suggestions?? Help please!

Olaf, what is your fancyJukebox (400-100 CDs), 5 disk charger, single disk transport? Heres an idea to get you out-of-the-box. Consider a DVD player as your CD player.

I bought my Denon DCM-370 last year, and although it is a pretty good little player, I wouldnt buy it now because of how I wish to use my system in the future. I want two CD players: One for critical listening on chilled-out Sunday afternoons and one for non-critical listening such as parties, etc

My solution: A fairly high-end DVP for movies AND for critical listening and a mega-charger (jukebox) for parties. Here is some recommendation:

DVD Player:

- Toshiba SD-9200 (HDCD/DVD Audio)

- Pioneer Elite DV-09

- Sony DVP S9000ES (SACD)

CD Player:

- Any large Jukebox (300-400 CDs) with good CD text memory - Maybe a Sony?

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

Rob

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I already have 2 Sonies and 2 Technics players. I'm looking for probably a single disc hopefully under $500 that has HDCD capability. I'm considering Denon too and Sherwood-Newcastle. I don't think the S-N can decode HDCD though. It will be used for critical listening as my party days are pretty well over with. It's hell getting old! :-)

NOOOOOOOO

Want a great inexpensive CD player? Simple try a Rotel or Creek.These outperform the carousel or changers with ease,plus you get quality and you pay more for the converters(convert digital to analog,crucial part)and less for fancy brand names and bogus features.

TheEAR says go and find a Rotel and/or Creek dealer and listen.Trust me you will be very pleased.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The Ah Tjoeb 4000 is nice. $579.00 It has a real nice sound. Not grainy or bright sounding, and has good detail. It uses vacuum tubes. You can roll your own for the sound you want. I've had a Creek, an Audio Analogue, and an Arcam. They are all great players. They all sound different. Pick your flavor. After owning, or home auditioning all of the above and more, I decided on the 4000, and I've been very happy with it.

Good Luck

Sometimes a little bit less is more. Driven by the unrelenting exposure of CD faults by my big old super-efficient Klipsch Cornwalls with their mid and high-range horns, I responded as quickly to a glowing www.soundstage.com review as a child offered ice cream. There was a low cost Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) for my Rotel 951 player. I jumped at the chance and ordered one from sensoryscience.com.

The Rotel CD player is a polite British model renown for serving up the texture and sonic of good steak for the everyman price of a burger. Plain looking units with plenty inside, my unit however did not seem to need extra BBQ sauce.

California Audio Labs (http://www.calaudio.com/calhome.html) has a reputation for CD players and DAC units in the same Rotel fashion: quality, no frills sound at modest prices. The Gamma seems to be in current production. CAL says the Gamma provides "a well-defined soundstage and a level of detail, clarity, and fidelity previously not found at its price."

Otherwise I would run, not walk, to hear the $579 AH! NJOE TJOEB 4000 CD Player (pronounced, I think, as "new tube". In the equipment archives at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/, ex-Stereophile Dick Olsher says "All considered, the Njoe Tjoeb represents a fantastic bargain - a clear 100 on our value for the money scale. Outfitted with the Amperex Bugle Boys , the Njoe Tjoeb remains my reference in the under $1,500 price category. If you're a music lover on a budget, look no further, and treat yourself to this Dutch Bonbon. The old Tjoeb is dead. Long live the Njoe Tjoeb!"

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'm considering them all. The other night I did some research on the AH! NJOE TJOEB 4000 and that one really has my attention plus it can be tweaked with different tubes.

I read that review Colin, and the reviews at audioreview too. That 'Ah' seems like a winner to me.:-)

I agree, the Ah Tjoeb is a great player for the money

and is much improved by a better Tube selection. Also

pay attention to the output volts - I once redid their

website for ole Herman but it never saw the light of

day.... Their current site is horrifying.

Another option would be a used Rega Planet, a deck that

I still find extremely musical and very analog sounding, with a more robust bottom end then the

Tjoeb unit. It also has a digital out.

Coming in third might be the Cambridge Audio D-500se

which is another fine machine for the money, although

I only heard it briefly.

kh

Olaf,

My CD path went like this. 1985: REVOX B-225 that never did work, but was the most expensive consumer deck at the time, a Rolls Royce lemon. Sometime in '91 I bought a Denon DCD 920. Very nice and served me well for eight years. Maybe a bit flat or two dimensional sounding and maybe a tad on the brighter side of neutral, but decent.

We then come to '99 and the upgrade sickness took hold. I picked up a Cambridge Audio CD-6 and ran that for a bit with an MSB Link DAC II and Monarchy Audio DIP mkII jitter box. The player had techincal faults and I sent it back while at the same time buying an Ah! Tjoeb '99. I got the replacement CD-6 and it was a refurbished unit, complete with Tony Bennett UNPLUGGED cd inside and a bunch of PCB screws missing. I sent that back and kept the Tjoeb for a bit.

I then came across the Electrocompaniet EMC-1 and ran that for a year when I sold it to buy the Sony

SCD-1 SACD player, which I'm very happy with. Both of these are out of your price range, but quite nice in their own rights.

I can't recommend the Cambridge units based on the lack of quality control I had with 2 units. The first one sounded quite musical when it worked, but hey...it didn't really do so. The newer D-500/D-300 might fair better, but I can't say.

I have heard the newer Tjoeb 4000 at the US Importer's house, with a Cary 300B I.A. tube amp and AvantGarde UNOs and while it wasn't broken in, for $600, it seemed to be more detailed than my Tjoeb and a worthy contender for the money spent. You can tube roll the Tjoebs and get a sound that suits your tastes.

Good luck, Chris

------------------

My Systems

Hello Olaf,

I might suggest looking into the McIntosh MCD 7005 as a digital source player.

It was the last McIntosh player to utilize an analog filter in the output stage.

While it's twin 16 bit DACs may disappoint some audiophiles with their inherent lack of detail, (and consequent effect on the

soundstage), one will find the player to be exceptionally sweet, musical, and very analog in it's presentation through a very wide variety

of recordings(indie label post rock, late 50's/early 60's jazz, acoustic and electric rock).

These players can be found on ebaY, though I'd recommend a reputable dealer in used classic equipment.

Perhaps you could try: http://www.audioclassics.com/

Regards and good luck.cwm35.gif

This message has been edited by electr-o-pura on 11-17-2001 at 04:03 PM