How does this compare to vintage for 2ch

dtel

• Moderators

Jay pointed this out to me in another thread and it looks good.

The one Jay pointed out was a Harman Kardon 3480 it looks good for the price and i know some hear really like Harman Kardon.

I know nothing about the inside of a reciever or amp !

But how does it compare to a real vintage reciever in sound quality. Is there something different, are they made cheaper or just a different type of parts that may make a difference.

If there is no difference new would be nice, more reliable than used and 25 years old ?

Would this be any better than the Yamaha rxv 730 i have now ,if not a big difference i need to keep looking or in another direction.

After looking it up i checked prices and found it a Onecall for $266 sounds like a good price if it's any good ? Never used Onecall but have read of others who have without a problem.

Just looking around at ideas to power CW lll's.

http://www.onecall.com/productdetails.aspx?id=22121&PMNID=1144&gclid=CM-L-83yr4YCFQYFOAodkDN-Bg

Is 2 channel all your going to use the CWIII's with? No intention of using in Home Theatre set-up? Is that $266. for a new HK unit, with shipping it's over $300. which still isn't bad, has Sub output, phono input, hhmmm sounds pretty good the more you read on it.....................if you really don't want 5.1, DTS, I'd ................Go for IT...................

• Moderators

I would love to use the CW lll's for HT but I now have 4 Forte ll's and 2 original Forte for Ht.

Three forte ll's across the front and a Forte ll for a rear center with the other 2 originals as left and right rears, not perfect but close.

It does sound very good, but i might change my mind after hearing the CW lll's ?

To use the CW lll's in HT nothing else would match i wish i could.

I had even thought about buying 2 pair of heresy lll's, they would match the CW lll's perfect, same mid and high drivers.

But then how would a Heresy lll sound for a center ?

I could probably get 2 pair of Heresy lll's for under $3000 if my Boss would approve ?

But the Boss wants Khorns later, and that $3000 could do that.

We will decide after having the CW lll's for a while i guess.

See there is the problem { I want it all }, nothing new about that.

OK I forgot you had that set-up, Sorry. I think that HK is a good deal, but are you sure you want SS, and not Tubes, that is really a bigger question. I like new stuff, and $300. seems good to me, but only you can answer that question, new or vintage, SS or Tubes, same questions I'm dealing with, Khorns, or tubes? I too want it all, but I'll have to do it one piece at a time, damn it all, so many choices.............So little time.................Good Luck............

I have not compared directly compared the new HK AVR receiver I have to the old vintage HK 330B (not twin powered) on my big ole horns, but both the palm-size $35 Sonic Impact 5066 digital class T amp, with power adapter, and the $450 Red Wine Clari T digital class T amp, with rechargeable batteries and charger, both sound wonderful with big ole horns.

As good as any modern receiver that I have tried with big ole horns. Of course, using massive speakers as efficient and sensitive as the Corns in 2-channle mode, you really can take advantage of the wonderful qualities and value of refurbished vintage integrated tube amps, like those serviced by frequent poster NOSvalves, for about the same money as a modern solid-state receiver. [H]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I would argue that the HK would sound very similar to your current yammie reciever. Maybe a different flavor of sound, but more alike than different.

I too was impressed with the Cayin (? was that the name) equipment at the pilgrimage, but in my opinion still had that signature tube sound. I know that is way outta your budget, but what kind of budget are you actually looking at?

If you get lucky maybe you'll score an Aragon 2-channel amp? Man oh man are those heavenly with cornwalls. Perhaps check out some of the sunfire 2-channel amp options? As efficient as the cornwalls are, they still benefit from an amp with balls.

Just get a nice Scott 299(B) and forget about all that SS crap.[;)]

I winked but I'm serious. There's just no comparison. You got a free pair of Cornwalls. You shouldn't skimp on the amp. Contact Craig and see what he has available. You won't regret it.

• Moderators

DrWho I don't really have a budget right now because I don't know what direction I will be going ?

After I get the Cornwall's I hope to have a better idea.

If i had to guess I think we will use the Cornwall's for 2 ch and leave the Forte's for Ht.

Because if I did get a good amp for 2 ch I could also use it if I ever did get Khorns.

Is there an easy way to have something to switch between 2 pair of speakers with a 2 ch amp, without unpluging wires ?

Radio Shack has some simple AB speaker selector boxes. I believe they even have a remote version too. Here's an $8 option:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062679&cp=&origkw=selector&kw=selector&parentPage=search

This is also something that would be very easy to build yourself. All you'd need is a 4PDT (four poll double throw) switch. Heck, I could build you guys one with fancy banana jacks if you're interested.

You could hook the CW's up to the B mains, and switch them on when you wanted to be in 'pure' 2 ch modes. Then turn on the A mains when going into HT and switch the CW's off.

I do something similar with my garage speakers, When I'm in the house, it's A which runs the LS/CW/THX setup, when outside I switch those off and run the B to the garage. Don't run both sets, it's too low of impedence.

You can do all this with your Yamaha receiver. Why don't you just wait until they arrive and take it one step at a time?

Michael

You could hook the CW's up to the B mains, and switch them on when you

wanted to be in 'pure' 2 ch modes. Then turn on the A mains when going

into HT and switch the CW's off.

I do something similar with my garage speakers, When I'm in the house,

it's A which runs the LS/CW/THX setup, when outside I switch those off

and run the B to the garage. Don't run both sets, it's too low of

impedence.

You can do all this with your Yamaha receiver. Why don't you just wait until they arrive and take it one step at a time?

Michael

• Moderators

Michael that is what I will probably do at first, right now I have some Baby Advent speakers on the B connection now, for my shop.

When I get the CW's I was going to use the B for them.

Then get get something better for the CW's later, just looking at ideas. There is at least 1000 choices and as many opinions.

Many sound good but i always read and ask a lot of questions before i make a choice and i do have time, just excited, something new . [:D]

DrWho that looks good, I may get you to make me one later with more convenient connections, I did electrical work but nothing under 110v better to pay someone like you to make me one.

Dtel, there are switcher boxes for amps made by Niles. They are different from the ones made for switching speakers and are specifically made for people who might want to run the same speakers by two different sources.

Or you could run any pre-out from your Yamaha to drive an outboard amp into your Cornwalls. This would free up B for your shop Advents.

Michael

I have a H/K 3480. It sounds fine through less efficient, non horn loaded speakers.

But hooking them up to a pair of Cornwalls is a differant story. The highs are overpowering at anything more than moderate volume and no amount of tweaking the tone controls will balance the thing out, in my opinion. I tried for months with my Cornwall 1's before giving up.

Since then I've used H/K 930, Sansui 7070, Pioneer SX- 880 and Sansui G-7700.

The 930 as well as both Sansuis are much less harsh than the 3480.

I do play my music loudly at times which brings out the screechy highs of the Cornwall 1 out, but having them connected to the H/K 3480 compounded the problem.

Unless those CW III's are a LOT differant than my 1's I'd keep looking, friend.

• Moderators

I have a H/K 3480. It sounds fine through less efficient, non horn loaded speakers.

But hooking them up to a pair of Cornwalls is a different story. The highs are overpowering at anything more than moderate volume and no amount of tweaking the tone controls will balance the thing out, in my opinion. I tried for months with my Cornwall 1's before giving up.

Since then I've used H/K 930, Sansui 7070, Pioneer SX- 880 and Sansui G-7700.

The 930 as well as both Sansuis are much less harsh than the 3480.

I do play my music loudly at times which brings out the screechy highs of the Cornwall 1 out, but having them connected to the H/K 3480 compounded the problem.

Unless those CW III's are a LOT differant than my 1's I'd keep looking, friend.

Thanks for the review , I have time to look, no rush.

I would probably be better off to get the CW's first.

I told Oldbuckster in a different thread to get the speakers first then look for something do drive them with, that way you know what they sound like. Then you will really hear any improvements. So i guess I should take my own advice !

• Moderators

Dtel, there are switcher boxes for amps made by Niles. They are different from the ones made for switching speakers and are specifically made for people who might want to run the same speakers by two different sources.

Or you could run any pre-out from your Yamaha to drive an outboard amp into your Cornwalls. This would free up B for your shop Advents.

Michael

That's a good idea, I never thought of that.

I had figured later I could look for an old receiver like from Ebay to put in the workshop . The problem with that is I like to do some woodworking back there, the dust settles on everything.

I could cover the receiver, but when working back there that is when I like to listen to music. Can't cover a amp when it is on.

A dust collector won't work because some of the tools are old, like me. Band saw, table saw, planer, sander are almost as old as me 48.

No dust collectors back then, but the tools were made much better. Most tools today won't be around in 40 years!