Interconnects and lengths

PhilMays

Hi Gang!

Question: Using a preamp (Yamy RXZ1) and seperate amps. Is there a rule of thumb for interconnect lengths. My amps are 6 feet from the pre/pro which is very different from where I had them before.

I know there is a speaker cable rule for over 50' runs.

Thanks for the help.

Also, waht are your thoughts on interconnect quality. I know of the very contraversial speaker cable myths, however, I do not read much about interconnect quality. Currently I have some cheap 6' interconnects but some high end interconnects for DVDA and SACD.

Again Thanks

Phil

I know hi-impedence lines for mics and PA stuff we try to keep under 20 feet. For hifi use I'd say good quality cabling try to keep it under 12 feet or so. You'll be fine at 6 feet. Try not to use multiple cables with splices if you can help it.

Michael

Thanks guys,

Can you tell a difference in cable quality on interconnects?

The reason I ask this is that I have experimented with speaker wire and interconnects. As for thye speakerwire, I'm out to lunch on. Not really sure I can tell a difference in my dual Kimber 8TC runs -vs- Simple good zip cord.

However, I could tell a difference in interconnects particularly when I connected a CD player with solid silver -vs- plain cheap interconnets. The silver was very "airy" and most notibally the highs were crisp and you could hear clean cymbals in the music. My wife even noticed. I say this as I auditioned the silver cables over a weekend and didn't hear enough of a difference to justify the cost. I returned them on a Monday and reconnected with the old stuff. On Thursday I bought the silver cables.

I know the was for the analog CD connection. I have always wondered about if this could hold true on a amp/pre amp basis as well.

I will look at Blue Jean Cables as well.

Phil

Your IC cable experience mirrors mine.

I picked up a used pair of Goertz silver IC's a couple of years ago to put this to a trial. While I did find them to be much as you described with your silver IC experience, I did not find them to be worth the retail cost (about $300 - I got them for $75, cheap enough to be willing to investigate). I do use them as my source IC - but have switched away from them at times, too, without too much regretting the change. Tube rolls and cap changes mean more here.

Blue Jean cables are very good. It's hard to go wrong for the $$ here.

As for length, I would keep them as short as possible. Useorder what you need to make them install comfortably, and keep both sides the same length.