Squat LaScala

damonrpayne

I would think that a full bandwith speaker would be a better choice at center since it is the most important speaker. (i.e. Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, Heresy)

The "runt" "little bastard" or LB-76 would be a limited bandwith speaker, the La Scala is already missing the two lowest octaves the LB-76 would be worse.

Are you thinking you want something smaller at center? What mains are you planning to use. The Academy is a pretty capable center depending on what mains you are using.

"" the La Scala is already missing the two lowest octaves the LB-76 would be worse.""

An HT system setup to THX standards sends the LF below 80hz to the sub woofer.

LaScala frequency response is 53Hz-17kHz± 4dB.

IMO the LaScala would be fine.

In most receivers and A/V Pre/Pro the 80Hz signals are only routed to the subwoofer if you have the speakers set to "small."

That is the newer La Scala spec, the older La Scala before Klipsch changed the woofer in 1985 was 45Hz-17.5Khz.

I use a La Scala for my center and it performs admirably, the LB-76 may not and it is a biatch to build.

I have a pair of 2004 La Scalas and a single 76 La Scala center with a BEC A/AA crossover. I have my Sony 34 in vega on top.

Sounds great but I need to see if I can get half of the upgrade kit so the crossover match the left and right.

It all sounds great I don't use the sub so I have everything turned to large on the speaker settings.

Damon

I think this thread got away from you....

first off, the LB-76 is not the squat scalla. The LB-76 "Little Ba$$tard" as a one sided horn design, where the squat scalla looks like a LAS1 but the bass bin appears to be about 1/2 the height. One came up on Ebay 4-5 years ago and I almost bought it to try as a center.

I know I got specs on the squat, and have tried to find them, they are on some folder somewhere on my server..... If I find them I will email them to you. I got them from John Albright years back. You may want to drop him an email. He also helped me work out a few kinks when I built my center channel using dual K22 woofers.

If I remember right, the squat lost its efficency in the 120Hz range which is a little high for HT.

JM