Heard Cornwall 3's, and the RT-12D with RF83's today...

Clarence

Took a road trip up to Flint today to my dealer, Today's Audio in Burton, MI. My original mission involved swaping my Walnut H3's for their Black pair, and pick up some more Analysis Plus cable for the KWS 12. CHECK.

I was surprised when I walked in to see the MIGHTY Cornwall 3 on display in the main entrance! First impression? Awstruck by there sheer size! These speakers are larger than life! I give Michale Colter and Who credit for dragging these into position for "the Heritage Mountain.." I listened to Rush Live on them, and I was a bit dissapointed by how thin they sounded... I was expecting to be blown away by the 15's! Then, I remembered what they are intended for... Classic Rock. Rod, the owner, agreed and said they would be great paired with the new RT-12D, which he had in stock!

We went out to his Home Theater area, and I requested to here JUST the RF83's and the RT-12D. FLOORED. No other way to describe it. TRANSPARENT BASS and crystal clear hi's. A bit lacking in the midrange, but I could absolutly live with it. I think we have found a new direction, OldBuckster... He was runing a B&K amp, and it sounded SO GOOD in two channel, then he really lit me up with 5.1 sound through a massive center (Klipsch) that I couldent even lift with one hand and some Klipsch theater typ e surrounds. Amazing.

He mentioned that if I wanted to stay with Heritage mains, the the RT-12D would meld seemlessly (sp?) with the CW3 and the H3 for rears.. Any thoughts on this?

C

Although I haven't heard the CWIII's, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't impress you more.

My first thought indicates a poor CD source to start with. You said you heard some Rush? Any Rush CD from the past 15 years has terrible CD mastering. Listen to a well mastered CD release from the DCC or MFSL label an prepared to be blown away.

FWIW, I think Corns sound best with vocal/jazz/classical music. Rock is good too, but mastering and recording is often subpar. You can't polish a turd, or so they say ;)

"I listened to Rush Live on them, and I was a bit dissapointed by how

thin they sounded... I was expecting to be blown away by the 15's! 

Then, I remembered what they are intended for...  Classic Rock."

Gosh, I sure hope that's not the case. If the Heritage IIIs are

intended for "Classic Rock", that's the end of the Heritage line's

connection to PWK.

I listen to a lot of 'Classic Rock", and it sound great on my

Cornwalls... but so does Jazz, Classical, Band Music, and even the

"Sounds of Sebring 1966". PWK (who didn't like "Rock") wanted his

speakers to reproduce the sound of the live performance, not enhance

the sound of an enhanced studio recording.

Of course, YMMV, and all comments are IMHO.

(Long live "Live" Dead, "live" Miles, "live" Wagner, and "live" Bach!... all from the same system.)

He did mention that they "weren't set up correctly". Also was in the main entrance, which wasnt optimal. yrmv

I was really wondering about the comment he made about that Reference sub would sound good paired with heritage speakers. Found that statement was a bit odd. How many of you run a sub with Cornwalls? I know the Chops, anybody else?

How many of you run a sub with Cornwalls?

I can't imagine needing more bass than what my Cornwalls provide. A sub would just cause phase cancellation and crossover problems. Those efficent 15" can realy pound your chest assuming you give them adequate placement in your room [H]

How many of you run a sub with Cornwalls?

I can't imagine needing more bass than what my Cornwalls provide. A sub would just cause phase cancellation and crossover problems. Those efficent 15" can realy pound your chest assuming you give them adequate placement in your room [H]

I use a sub with my Corns for movies. When listening to music, I usually prefer the sub turned off, even with DVD-A and SACD multichannel.

When I just had the CW's, I ran a little KSW12 with them for movies .1 soundtrack. I didin't think music needed them much.

Tonight I just listened to some jazz with my LS/CW combos and experiemented with switching the THX's in and out. There really isn't that much info there on 70's jazz, at least not what I had on.

If you're into 2ch only with heavy metal or rap, maybe get a sub. For movies, required no matter what the LR main speakers. Required.

I use subs with Chorus II's and I would use them with cornwalls as

well. "phase cancellations and crossover problems" don't happen when

everything is properly configured.

And there is no reason why the RT-12d shouldn't mate well with the cornwall.

Btw, the new cornwall 3 has gotten rid of the crazy 80Hz peak - it's a much more neutral sounding speaker.

Clarence what new direction? You can't be thinking new power source? Remember you didn't like the H3's at first either, so reconsider the CW3's, they should sound nice with your new NAD's.................take your time, seems like your jumping too deep, too quick, those salesmen are sales-men, and they'll take all your money,and don't really careif your happy.............easy does it Prince of Blackness............be sure that's what you want......I don't know what is best sub..........sure you want CW3's, nothing bigger?.........horns anyone?..................

Mr. Spinner, I like your point on low volume, and really feel that is one point that is never really pushed on here, Low Volume Listening, that to me is what Klipsch does best, good full rich sound at low levels, which I listen in alot, as opposed to very loud levels. Alot of early morning listening with others still asleep, so I don't play loud..............Really don't like headphones..............like my speakers...............they sound real good at low levels, too.......

We have four CW IIs and a Klipsch-derived center with two 8s...no need for a sub. Between the HT set up, the cat castle, the aquarium, the treadmill, etc, etc, we don't have much room for another piece of gear. I might add that with the Yamaha RX2500 receiver, we can parametriclly (sp?) notch (or boost) any of 12 bands, on individual channels. The center channel has a 1.5 dB notch at 63 Hz dialed in to cure a bit of boominess. This is great, but I think the next band is 120 Hz, and the resolution of the EQ is not fine enough to catch 80 Hz. Maybe someday we will EQ the four mains. The 80 Hz hump is not always intrusive on all types of music.