What Is The Danger Zone for 4.1's?

OmegaX3000

Okay, this may sound like a wierd question, but for everyone out there that has owned or owns Klipsh ProMedia 4.1's, what have you found to be optimal sound settings, and dangerous ones? Right now my Main is set at 12 o'clock, my sub at the default 10, my surround is at minimum, and in Windows Mixer, I have WAVE/MP3 at 100% and MAIN usually at 50%

Anyone have any scary stories about pushing the sat's or sub too far and it causing damage, and know what it was set at? Because I just want to make sure I don't want to go in that "danger zone" Smile.gif Sounds like a cheesy tv show Smile.gif I just want to know about any warning signs I should watch out for, etc.....

Good god, not the DANGER ZONE!!! cwm24.gif *shudder* In 8th grade we had to watch these horrible videos in cooking class about food poisoning and the "danger zone," which is when food is out "too long" (about 20 mins). The horrible acting, the awful dialog (oh, i get it now, ice cream goes in the FREEZER!! cwm8.gif). I'm scarred for life...

Anyway, other than that, id just play it by ear, if you think they're distorting, or getting hot, then turn 'em down. I honestly think that unless they're going (playing sound) 24/7 you should be OK. I have my main around 9 o'clock and the Windoze vol at 100 with wave at 80. Which would probably be about the same vol as you, so im sure your OK.

This message has been edited by ShenLong27 on 11-13-2001 at 05:20 PM

i play them loud. i figure that by th etime i am getting old and my ears start to fail, they will have a cure to hearing loss. don't tell me otherwise... LiMM! Smile.gif

i have had stuff fall off my desk, the sub rattled my cd rack so much that the pegs came ou tand my cd's fell all over the place,,, on the v2.400's, a guy once shattered or cracked a coffee mug with the sound. just some of the stories, like hte cat who was thrown from teh sub port... LiMM!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

i play them loud. i figure that by th etime i am getting old and my ears start to fail, they will have a cure to hearing loss. don't tell me otherwise... LiMM!
Smile.gif

i have had stuff fall off my desk, the sub rattled my cd rack so much that the pegs came ou tand my cd's fell all over the place,,, on the v2.400's, a guy once shattered or cracked a coffee mug with the sound. just some of the stories, like hte cat who was thrown from teh sub port... LiMM!

Uhhhhhhhh..... how loud is "loud" on your system? Just wondering what your setup is like (ie knobs on Promedia, Windows settings)

ok. my sat's are set to 12 o'clock, the computer's wave volume is 100%, the main is about 75%, the sub is set to the THX mark, the surround is at 10 o'clock. it is very loud. my door rattles and you can hear it from outside the house. i about to have my room sound proofed... not the one i sleep in, the one where my pros are and my computers.

this is my normal listening volume, when i want it really loud, were it starts to hurt, i set the computer to 100% and the pro's to about 2:30.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Justin, your way overstating it. The pros loud, and though I dont know about the 4.1s, the v.2-400s "danger zone" was when they became obviously distorted. The sub has a limiter so as long as you let it kick in before you blast them, you shouldn't have a problem.

what am i overstating? it rattles my door at that level. it hurts my ears at teh other level, so much that it really hurts. my sub was near my cd rack, a wooden rack that is pushed together with pegs, holds about 50 cd's, and its pegs got loose and two legs fell off (the legs go for the whole span of the holder, they are like the sides only there are no sides, just a wooden pole, and it fell apart. in the old v2.400 forum a guy said his mug cracked... i am not exagerrating at all. *** i was wrinting that my dvd collection, only about 20, propped upwards on a mostly empty book shelf toppled over.

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

ok. my sat's are set to 12 o'clock, the computer's wave volume is 100%, the main is about 75%, the sub is set to the THX mark, the surround is at 10 o'clock. it is very loud. my door rattles and you can hear it from outside the house. i about to have my room sound proofed... not the one i sleep in, the one where my pros are and my computers.

this is my normal listening volume, when i want it really loud, were it starts to hurt, i set the computer to 100% and the pro's to about 2:30.

Jeeeeeeeeeez! that's loud! LOL...... I guess I shouldn't be afraid to turn mine up a BIT more Wink.gif The sub is at the THX MARK?????? LOL.... I still have mine at the 10 o'clock standard mark..... I find it's too overwashing higher than that.... well at least for now Smile.gif

Wow..... hmm.... and they still work??????????? LOL Smile.gif

Here's what mine are set on:

Control Pod:

Volume between 9 and 10 o'clock

Sub between 3 o'clock and max (depends on what I'm playing, but I like to feel the walls vibrate)

Surround at 12 o'clock

Windows:

Main volume between 95-100%

wav/direct and cd at 100%

When I use my speakers as amps for my electric bass, I can break glasses Smile.gif

When I had everything set up in the living room, and I played my bass, I broke 15 glasses and bottles in the wine cabinet, it was a mess to clean up Frown.gif

when is aid th eTHX mark i mean the white dot at 10 o'clock.. that is the THX setting.

quote:

When I use my speakers as amps for my electric bass, I can break glasses

When I had everything set up in the living room, and I played my bass, I broke 15 glasses and bottles in the wine cabinet, it was a mess to clean up

are you serious! WOW!

------------------

-justin

I dont know, maybe my house is built better than you guys. I refuse to believe that the pro sub did that unless u somehow loosened up the drivers to allow more excursion and u dropped the amp to 1.8 ohms at top volume making the sub at .9 ohms and a total of 320 watts rms. The 5.1 sub could not do what u speak of and is actually louder than the normal pro sub. Is it a small room that is double corner loaded (in a corner with a low ceiling)? I have pushed both the 5.1 and v.2-400s to their limits and the sub is room shaking and made some pictures rattle a little on the wall upstairs about 50 feet from where it was, but it wouldnt crack a mug or rattle a door. Your a fool to push the pros to their limits when sitting in front of them unless you just feel like loosing some of your hearing. I've pushed them when I'm more than 10 feet away in a large room and they are still on the verge of too loud to listen to (it's a little painful but barable) and yet they still dont do what u speak of.

i did not say i cracked a mug, just that someone once said he had.

my door rattles, i have a brand new house, a nice one if i may say so, and my door rattles. it is not a solid door, those were way too much. it rattles, what do you want me to say! LoL

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by Btrigg:

I'm just saying that people hype the pros too much. If Omegax3000 is buy these to literally rattle his doors, he will probably be disappointed like all the other people who bought these thinking they would beat an ht system.

No no no...... I know they won't "beat a HT system".... all this topic was really for was just to know what is a safe area to use these speakers under so I can enjoy them for many days to come Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif

Yeah I know, but the pros have been compared to ht when it comes to volume, and they aren't as loud as an ht, and aren't loud enough to break a mug. For the v.2-400s, there is no danger zone, just dont push the system at full for too long. The 4.1s are probably the same way, but the 3" driver on the 4.1s handle more bass, which might have a better chance of blowing. I say, if it is starting to distort, turn it down a bit.

Well, i cleaned up my room yesterday and because of how my room is setup right now, my door opens into my desk. so when people would come into my room the door would hit my PM 4.1 sub which really made me kinda mad. So, i decided to put the sub at ear level on my desk. It is at an angle with one woofer pointed towards my face. remember, this is only temperary Smile.gif But anyways, last night i was chatting with Slaz13 on AIM and drinking a 2 liter Dr. Pepper, he had a 2 liter Sprite (coincidence?). Well, i was listeneing to my pros pretty loud and had left my closed Dr. Pepper in front of the woofer that is aimed at me, the right one just FYI. Well, i went for a drink of my Dr. Pepper and it made a terrible hiss. I took a sip and it was nearly. I guess the sub vibrated the fizz out of it... LoL! So be warned, don't put 67.6 FL oz. of Dr. Pepper by a promedia sub and hope to drink it later! LoL!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

i said it was temporary! Smile.gif i am waiting for my new funiture to come in. we moved from a like 2700 square foot haouse to like a 4500... too much room and too little furniture Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150