Large or Small Setting on Receiver?????

Klipsch-daddy

Can anyone please explain how and why this will make a difference in my set up of rf-3's and ksw-12. The sub sounds fine but the rf-3's sound very harsh??

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

This message has been edited by Klipsch-daddy on 11-13-2001 at 10:44 PM

well. the large speaker setting gives more to the speakers. lower sound and a higher volume level from the source. it ouptuts a larger frequency field to take advantage of large speakers rather than small speakers that can not hit th elow notes and go as loud.

that is basically what my SONY DVD player's maual said on that.

where do you have this setting? DVD Player, receiver, etc...

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

RF-3's are hash!How long do you have these speakers?

Maybe you were used to mellow speakers,with a very rolled top end.Or the reciever real qualities(faults)are unmasked with the RF-3's.

I would run the RF-3's in large mode and let the RF-3's do what they do best,slam.The twin 8" ceralloy drivers should not be limited by the reciever.Where the RF-3's start leaving the sub should kick in.

Run the RF-3's full range and cut the sub(on the sub itself)around 45Hz.This should give a good balance.

I run my RF-7's,RC-7 and RF-5's all in full range,I love the slam I get from the Klipsches.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Maybe harsh is a overstatement. The highs in the rf-3's are so loud it makes my ears fill like they are bleeding.!!!!!! I will try the setting on large and set the sub to 45hz. The rf-3s were the last pair my local dealer had. They should be broke in?

------------------

My HTS:

Ears bleed! I know the RF-3's are not too roled of in the upper range.But harsh,no.

I heard the problem in the store where I purchase almost all my Klipsch.The problem was caused by the reciever.

Make sure all settings are on FLAT.

Maybe the recording,on what CD or DVD did you find the RF-3 sounded most harsh?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I must disagree with the venerable Ears, I would set the RF-3s to small. With my Denon 3801, i find the base "weak" and "soft" when i set to large. So i prefer to have a sub and its amp carry the load. IMHO, the KSW-12 tends to be boomy and somewhat "soft". But an improvement over only the RF-3s.

As for the RF-3s being harsh, i would describe them as crisp. But i think that Ears is correct that its probably the Sony (if all setting are ZERO). Prior to buying this Denon/Klipsch, i had listened to an Onkyo/Polk and Yammy/Polk....and there was a HUGE difference in sound...the Onkyo made the Polks sound VERY harsh.

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

since i haven't seen the standing wave issue lately (where is HornEd? Smile.gif) figured i'd better chime in. cwm4.gif

of course it depends on room characteristics/response, how the sub is connected/set-up, the receiver crossover (usually a 2high 80hz imho for non-thx type larger speakers), sub characteristics, etc. so u can see the multitude of variables that makes an automatic large or small answer impossible. best thing is trial & error & let your ears decide. they're your ears Smile.gif

but what i've found is using the sub preout of various receivers w/ that fixed 80hz crossover, setting the fronts large caused too much overlap from the fronts, like the rf-3, from their effective low range & the sub. this caused poor bass quality - muddy & sloppy especially on 2 channel music.

setting to small took out that bad overlap. it also produced cleaner more dynamic midbass, mids & highs from the now less current sapped speakers & receiver.

of course to try & take out that overlap, u could set large & lower the cross on the sub, but then u'd cut off some LFE - all of which goes to the sub w/ the above set-up.

there was a long thread on this a while back. in most all cases, even w/ large tower speakers, it just seems to sound better following the thx standards & setting all to small with a good performing sub w/ it's crossover out.

but that's only because of that fixed crossover. when i got a new preamp i made sure it had an adjustable crossover. i set all the speaks small w/ a crossover of 50hz & now have more low bass contribution from the klf-30 & cornwalls & great quality to boot.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks for the replys. I am going to play with the set up a little on Saturday. I did notice the treble was turned up to 10+ on the receiver! (oops) I had the treble on 10 + and bass on 4+ with my old sb-3's. Sounded good on them but I am not impressed with the rf-3's yet..... I did say yet ! I know these are swesome speakers and I really need some help dialing these into my set up. I am pretty sure I am getting a sony processor that will possibly help me out.

------------------

My HTS:

k-dad, yea many of the sony do have that adjustable crossover feature in their dsp (my de935 did not but it's a real "entry level" receiver.

as for the "harsh" highs i can relate. here again the room & it's contents can have a real effect. did notice some smoother highs when i went from my sony to a "warmer" marantz sr8000. try to get some absorption going in the room. u may even have to EQ those highs DOWN a lil. having them at +10 at whatever freq point was probably a big part of the "harshness".

------------------

My Home Systems Page