That New Woofer Smell

BEC

from Wikipedia:

Frame design

The frame, or basket, is the metal structure that holds the cone, voice coil and magnet in the proper alignment. There are two types of frames, stamped steel and cast. Stamped steel, as the name implies, is a lower-cost alternative, stamped from sheet metal. The disadvantage of this type of frame is the woofer basket may flex or even resonate if the speaker is driven at high volumes. Cast baskets are more expensive, but are usually much more rigid, and therefore the preferred design.

wow, 1.5k, that would be excellent for anyone using an gentle slope type xover. I recall on another thread that the stock k-33 has trouble reaching half that. Cornwall owners, heads up.

Aside from the frame rigidity benefit, is there an advantage to increasing the woofer crossover frequency on a Cornwall? What would be ideal?

• 2 years later...

apart from the improved mechanical rigidity the cast aluminium frame will give more motor strength. A steel frame will draw some of the magnetic energy away from the magnet system. the effect is not huge but certainly measurable

i'd always go for a cast aluminium frame if i had the choice.

Guest David H

Certainly not going to hurt, I really love the newer woofer in my 78 Cornwalls, It just sounds better to me.

If you have not done so already order a set of crossover caps from while you are at it. You'll be in for a treat.

• 2 weeks later...