OT: Desktop PC Wont Boot w/Wireless Router PCI Card

Frzninvt

As the title says my Dell 4300 with a 1.7Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, running Windows XP Home Edition won't boot with the D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless network PCI card installed in it. It is about 5 years old I would guess.

I initially got it working and communicating with the wireless network but if I reboot or power down it won't boot into Windows. I tried using different PCI slots which worked to get it running until a reboot, then nothing.

I took the card out until I can figure out what the hell is going on.

Everything thing else went smooth.

Help!

a couple of consideration points.

a. try the card in another machine. card could be defective

b. check the system bios setup for a config that say's stop on all errors and change to log errors

c. take note of the PCI slot the card is being put into. if it is directly next to an APG slot, and you have a video card in the APG slot, the system won't run.

d. was it ever working, what happened.

e. remove the card, boot up, remove the drivers for the wireless card, shut down, install the card, does it boot up now

f. check the driver version for the card

g. remember, when making card additions or removals, adding ram, or CPU, unplug the computer from the outlet. just because it is off, does not mean power is not running thru your mother board. removing parts while plugged in can damage parts and mother board.

h. boot the system into step by step mode (use the f-8 key, select step by step), during this process, you will see each dll that gets loaded, pay attention to the last dll that loads before the system halts, usally, this will be a bad driver or the driver for a bad or mis-configured card.