The next decorator upgrade

I've been using wood filler. Someone else suggested bondo, but really anything that has mass and supports the glue for the veneer should be OK. I've already sanded these and filled the voids, just waiting on the veneer to arrive. I expect it next week and should have some pics up by the end of next week. This pic shows the light material which is wood filler that has already been sanded down. Sometimes you have to build it up in layers if the ding is large

post-14322-13819307778394_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Things are pretty slow today so I'll throw up (bad choice of words) post some pics of the makore decorators. First, I thought I had this process down. 1. contact cement is better than iron on; not necessarily so. The makore I used wasn't wide enough for a single sheet to cover the face so I had to tape two pieces together. Everything went great as I laid down the sheet and pressed it to the cabinet. I was really pleased with the first speaker. The second one started off that way but as I laid down the last sheet on the face I left the speakers outside where I was working and went inside. When returned the sun had moved the shade line and was right on the speakers. The heat had caused the seams to separate on serveral faces. What a bummer. Too late to do anything so i just moved them back inside and let the glue cure. Heres how things started out

post-14322-13819308237378_thumb.jpg

I'm using the Minwax antique oil finish which is what I used on the Cherry project, however I found a method for applying the finish that really leaves a beautiful satin smooth finish. After finish sanding to 320g I applied the oil with a wet/dry process and progressed from 320 to 400 to 600g sanding the oil into the wood and then wiping off the residue with a clean cloth. the sanding fills the voids with the residue of oil and dust. Wipe down across the grain after sanding with the cloth. The final finish was really smooth. I let the coats dry for 24 hours between applications. Here are the results

post-14322-13819308238628_thumb.jpg

Michael,

The speakers I picked up had torn woofers that I replaced with used ones from Ebay that were in perfect condition, in fact both pairs had to have the woofers replaced (the cherry veneered pair too). The veneer I used is called block mottle Makore supposedly from S Africa. I purchased 27 sq ft for about $25 bucks delivered from Ebay as well. I barely had enough to do the job hence the reason I didn't try to repair the sides where the seams separated on me. I also bought a veneer called Sapeli that looks just like this wood and when it gets here I may use it to repair the tops or maybe not. They don't really look too bad, I was just bummed that they started out perfect and for some reason pulled apart at a few seams. From a distance you can't tell and the finish I used filled in the gap so they are really smooth to the touch.

post-14322-13819308244438_thumb.jpg

I remember commenting on the 'stands' when you first got these. I thought they were little tapered legs.

Just an idea, if you have scrap veneer left over (from woofer cutouts,

etc), why not make or veneer four little feet instead of the riser

base? I think it's a cool look being able to see the floor under the

Heresies. You could even make two tall ones and two shorties for the

'slanted' effect.

Michael