Analog Opinion: Pro-ject Debut III Turntable..

Clarence

ENTRY LEVEL that's what the ad states...............Did you read the thread about TERES Table? That's a real Turntable for a High End set-up................If you buy the table you just posted and like Vinyl, Do you think you will be happy and keep it or jump in a little deeper for a nicer TT? So, you bought the Sony......let's call it $100. ........Now you are thinking about the one you just posted..........let's call it $400............that's $500......and that might not satisfy your need..............Really ask Allen and Mike and those guys what they would recommend..............They know better than I.................I probably should not even respond, but TT's can get tricky, and it is an area where you can spend alot of money before you get what you want...............You will do what Clarence does................Got a couple of Bucks you can lend me?...................

I wish I'd bought a NEW turntable.

Dude, you need to back off of jumping into unrelated threads with this whining--it's not becoming at ALL!

I feel for you--I really do! But why not just keep these comments to ONE thread!!

I feel like buying the damn turntable from you just to get you to stop all this moaning!! [:)]

Look a lot like the Music Hall MMF series. I believe they are linked somehow; I just can't quite remember.

The Music Hall is a very musical table for the price. If you're not too discerning and are looking for a platform to play old LP's, I think it would be fine.

Chris

Used to be that the same factory in Checkoslavakia made the turntables for both Pro-Ject and later Music Hall. Probably still the case as many of their turntables look very similar.

The Project 2.1 (same as this I believe) and entry level Music Hall are the same table. The MMF-5 that I just got has a double plinth to isolate the motor which I believe is the main difference between the 2. Other than the plinth, it looks identical. For the money, it'll sound very nice and it's basically a plug n' play table. I think you'll like it. Until you hear a really nice table that is............................[:o] then you'll be mortgaging the house.[;)]

I have two MMF-2s and one MMF-5. I don't use them as audio gear--we've got them in the Prop House for rental as set dressing for film production! They LOOK great--especially from 3-feet away--which makes them EXCELLENT for our use in the prop rental biz.

E-2798.jpg

That said, they are REALLY REALLY crappily made junk. The tonearm is a freaking JOKE!!! I hooked up one of the MMF-2s just for the fun of it and for what they cost I'll take an old Thorens ANY day--and on a lucky day that Thorens will come with an SME arm which makes the Music Hall arm look like something from a Cracker Jack box!!!

$326 US is a bit rich. I paid $249 Aust (brand new) for my Project 1.2 fitted with an Ortofon OM5. I believe the Debut and the 1.2 are very similar.

Build quality for the cheaper Projects are a bit suspect. The arm is ordinary - I wouldn't upgrade the cartridge. But overall if you're new into vinyl, or you're returning after a long absence like I did, the cheaper Projects sound surprisngly good.

I traded my Project several weeks ago for a Rega P3 fitted with the RB300 arm, upgraded motor and the Denon DL-103 cartridge. The next step up from that would be a VPI Aries Scout, or a pre-loved classic t/t, maybe...

I have two MMF-2s and one MMF-5. I don't use them as audio gear--we've got them in the Prop House for rental as set dressing for film production! They LOOK great--especially from 3-feet away--which makes them EXCELLENT for our use in the prop rental biz.

E-2798.jpg

That said, they are REALLY REALLY crappily made junk. The tonearm is a freaking JOKE!!! I hooked up one of the MMF-2s just for the fun of it and for what they cost I'll take an old Thorens ANY day--and on a lucky day that Thorens will come with an SME arm which makes the Music Hall arm look like something from a Cracker Jack box!!!

Thanks for your comments Allan. I was merely venting that I wish I had a properly working tt out of the box and that for some of us, purchasing a new unit might be the way to go about this. Now that I know your opinion of the Music Hall offerings, I'll continue with my Thorens struggle.