My new PJ screen!

Cal Blacksmith

Da-lite

After much research and soul searching, I have ordered the

Da-Lite Cinema Contour screen in 119" diag, HD format (16:9) and Pearlescent

screen material. This will give me a 1.5

gain on the screen with improved contrast.

From Da-Lite:

Pearlescent

This surface utilizes an unsupported vinyl creating a very

smooth Pearlescent coating that provides high reflectivity and brilliance

without loss of image quality or resolution. Screen surface can be cleaned with

mild soap and water. Flame retardant and mildew resistant.

Viewing Angle: 40°

Gain: 1.5

The order went in yesterday and I expect it

to arrive before the end of the month! It is shipping direct from Da-Lite so

there is no shipping fee to worry about and though the MSRP is $1500 and they

are selling for about $1250 on line, I worked a deal in person for mine at $1050

+ tax. (either tax or shipping or both, there is no free lunch!)

The frame is Matt black (powder coat, no

felt) and the screen sits behind the frame so it is like a picture in a frame,

I like this much more than the snaps on the front!

I looked at a Draper screen that had a 1.1

gain and I was less than impressed with it. There used to be a saying in

computer circles, No one ever got fired for buying an IBM Well the salesman

said that he has never had ANYONE who bought a Da-Lite screen be disappointed.

And I am sure his statement is true.

Pics will follow as there is something to

show!

hitachi-pj-tx100

A review of it is at the link above. At 1200 lumins, it is a little low powered compaired to what is on the market new today but two years ago, this machine was quite bright. With a screen that has 1.5 gain, my projected image in my setup is 16 FL (foot lamberts), right smack on the target for a darkened room.

To calculate your setup, there is a calculator at PJ central, just use your own projector and it is all very easy to use.

Calculator

For a little more info about screens and what is needed, go to

practical-home-theater-guide

The Calculator preforms the needed math and shows the results graphicly and in an easy to understand format.

Thanks OB[Y]

Indeed it was a BD present to myself but the wife gets some of the use also so I guess it can be thought of as a present for both of us.[;)]

It darn near fills up the wall it will be installed on. I am going to have to take the risers off of the Fort'es to get them below the bottom of the screen!

As I said, it will be here soon and I can't wait!

Congrats on the new screen! I think you will be happy with the Da-Lite. I have a Da-Lite Model C just basic white and a good buddy of mine has a Model C Video Spectra. They are both manual pulldown models. The Video Spectra is very close to the screen you chose. I think you will be very happy with it.

Laters,

Jeff

Jeff, it is good to hear that you are hapy with your screen. I had chosen Video Spectra first but it is not available on my model screen. The pearlessent is the replacement for it. I thought long and hard about roll up or fixed and in the end fixed won out. It sure would have been less expensive to go with a manual roll up for sure!

Da-lite

After much research and soul searching, I have ordered the Da-Lite Cinema Contour screen in 119" diag, HD format (16:9) and Pearlescent screen material. This will give me a 1.5 gain on the screen with improved contrast.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Cal,

I'm so glad to read your post about Dalite, because I'm in teh process of negotiating for a Motororized, High Contrast Cinema Vision, 119" (drooooool), tab-tensioned Dalite (16:9)... very similar to yours, only motorized (because of WAF!!!) and High Contrast Cinema Vision, rather than Pearlescent...

Dude, is tab-tensioned a) really worth it and B) really that much pricier? There's a difference of almost a thousand bucks... Of course, this could be cause I'm in Pakistan, and things are just never normal here.

Help out, man... I really appreciate it. And once again, congrast on the screen.

BTW, I'm going to be using it with a new Panasonic AE900...

Thanks,

Fauzi

Fauzi,

I looked at about 4 roll up screens that were NOT tab tensioned and none of them were really "flat" That may or may not be important to you but it is to me. The tensioned screens (I never saw one) should be much flatter. The price difference is indeed what you mentioned. I don't know why they should be that much more money but they are. HECK, I don't understand why a FIXED screen is the same price as a electric, tab tensioned roll up but they are! They have NO moving parts, just a frame that is cut from an extrusion but that is what they charge for them!

Congrats on your screen project also! Mine should be here today or tomorow! I can't wait![:D][:D]

Cal,

Hmmmm... interesting. The only reason that I'm having to go Tensioned (god frignibitick it Q@!#!@#!) is because I need to have a motorized screen there... and from what I've read, unless you have a tensioned screen, the up and down really starts putting a strain on the fabric.

Plus, it does stay flatter... and it looks waaaay cool...

Congratulations are a liiiittle premature as I have yet to place the order... but the good thing is that it's lying with the dealer in stock and all I have to do is finalize the price and pick it up!

Hey, from your research, you think that fabric is good for the LCD Panny?

-Fauzi

Screen material, Hey, your guess is as good as mine. I

relied heavily on the links I provided above. Projector Central has calculators

that let you put in YOUR variables and see what the outcome should be. I went

with Da-Lite as they had the widest choice of materials available and they had

the only 1.5 gain screen. Getting samples from the makers is a GREAT idea but I

was a bit IMPATENT to get a screen. I also relied on the local Da-Lite (and

other makers) dealer to direct my decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Cal!

Hope you're enjoying the screen, man!

Just wanted to bump this thread back up. I finally got my screen too... I got the Contour Electrol, 119", High Contrast Cinema Vision Tab Tensioned screen... tried pulling out all the stops, and got an amazing deal.

However, it's been installed for about a week and a half, and the smell just refuses to go away. It's almost as strong today as it was the first day that it was installed. Since my HT is in the basement, it's much much tougher to get the darn thing out...

Have you encountered this yet? It's giving me a headache like I've never had, and my wife is giving me the "I told you so" look!

Let me know what you did if you did run into this problem!

Thanks, man... I'll try posting some pics up once the room is a little more photogenic.

Regards,

Fauzi

Fauzi, yes we are enjoying it very much. The smell is still

with us but it is much less than when we started. New plastic is like that, the

chemicals that it is made from tend to off gas for a while. Ever wonder what

that "new car smell" is? Yep, it is the smell of the new fabrics and

plastics off gassing and that is why it eventually goes away, the gasses are

done off gassing.

I trust you are enjoying YOUR screen as well; you did buy a

good one for sure. I really do think you will be happier with the tab tensioned

screen, they do look great! Congrats on the purchase and yes the smell will go

away eventually. OBTW as our screen is a fixed one, it is out or down all the