constant hum in speakers while HDMI video hooked up

damonrpayne

So, I bring home my saucy new Denon dvd-1930 to enjoy some up-converted video and audio action and...

I hook up the whole deal with all power off. HDMI to DVI converter, DVI into the TV. Turn everything on, an annoying hum in the speakers. Unplug the HDMI cable and it stops instantly. Put the HDMI cable NEAR the place where it plugs into the Denon, the hum starts up. Hum persists until everything is off.

Two DVD players, TV, aragon stage one, aragon 2005, cable box, playstation 2 all plugged into one power strip. All forms of cords and wires mangled together and twisted around each other. I'm going to start by unpluggin and unhooking everything that's un-needed ( PS2, cable box, old DVD player). Any other thoughts?

Sunburnwilly,

Can you explain a ground loop isolator?

Paul

Sorry MLK I'm not an engineer and can't explain it . [:$]

I just know that without it my system would be unlistenable .

10 years ago I purchased a Parasound processor and a 3 channel Acurus amp . When I hooked everything up I had an unbearable hum . I called the dealer I bought the equipment from and he said the Mondial Ground Loop Isolation Circuit would solve the problem . It was $75.00 back then but he gave it to me since I had made a substantial purchase from him .

The darned thing works !!! You can sometimes find them at Klipsch's EBay store , for substantialy less than what they cost years ago .

Scooter brings up a good point , they are for cable not sat . "I never had a problem with sat when I had it , the audio on sat is heads and shoulders above cable !"

And once again , here it is ...

post-18289-13819308028856_thumb.jpg

I too am getting some noise. Seems to mainly be coming from my back speakers when it is in surround mode. When the preamp is set to stereo, it goes away. Does not seem to have the hum in the front or center.

Do you think this thing would help, and if so, do you just place this in line as the cable comes from the wall to the system?

I have a surge protector in line also. Would this go on the wall side or the cable box side of the surge protector?

Paul

One thing you might want to be aware of guys...

The latest digital and high def cable systems depend on a return signal from the cable box and a lot of bandwidth. Not all ground loop lifters are created equally. If you watch any PPV thru the box, or have a high def box, some may create problems. If that happens, your only choice is to put an isolation transformer into the system between the amp and video.