WAY O/T exercise

dtel

"dtel"

I read your thread after starting a thread about my re-visit of running. Copy/pasted below. I agree with the folks who mention cardio. Have your doctor do a stress test, and have him clear you to start a regular and challenging cardio routine. Start low, aim high.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I had my sister over this weekend. She is an all star runner, swimmer, paddle boat, body builder, you name it, if it's sports, she does it. She is 46.

We got to talking about her 2 mile times, and she indicated her work out time was about 17 minutes for 2 miles.

Huh, I said, thats not that good, I used to do 8 minute miles when I was running 5k stretches.

She said that was years ago, you got to be kidding if you think you can come anywhere near an 8 minute mile in the shape you are in.

Shape, I said, I am in shape, I'm round, and thats a shape ( yeah read that in the mens rules posted last month). FYI, I am 48, weight 247, and am about 6' 3" in height.

Well it was a quiet night, cool and a light breeze on the board walk. Figured why not, and went for it.

Went out and did the 2 mile run in 16 minutes 30 seconds. Breathing was normal after about 10 minutes. Heart beat was normal after 15 minutes.

Yeap, still in shape, well then, i guess i can have a few beers before hitting the hay.

My sister wants to race me, I told her to make it fair, I'd have to get to 260 lbs before the race.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I happen to work out about 4 times a week and have tried many different things and when it comes down to ease of use, getting results, and price.....free weights win in every category. You will never hear any person who is excellent shape say they used a bowflex to get there. Bowflexs are expensive dust collectors.

I happen to work out about 4 times a week and have tried many different things and when it comes down to ease of use, getting results, and price.....free weights win in every category. You will never hear any person who is excellent shape say they used a bowflex to get there. Bowflexs are expensive dust collectors.

That FINE, well shaped, beautiful,SEXY, 50 year old Grandmother on the Bowflex ad, didn't get that way with just a Bowflex............count on that......There is NO substitue for Muscle building than Free Weights........Quick, inexpensive, and You can see results fast. However...........they are not for everybody......OLD BUCKS need to be careful, and slowly build up to more weight...........Light weights, and a little Areobic exercise is a good blend for us older guys...........and 20+year old females don't hurt either..........EH!!!!!!!!!

OK the bowflex for resistance training is a good idea I have a similar machine. For cardio do the easy ting get a bicycle, actually get two. They are fun to ride and you and Christy can ride together (increases your chances for success, with a ridng partner you'll be more apt to stick to it) IMO cycling is one of the best destressing exercises you can do.

Dtel, cardiovascular! I have had the best results with sustained heart rate of 20 to 30 minutes just 3 times a week.

Like OB said harder to get off as we age but I am a sadistic SEEFOOD lover and portions are my biggest enemy!

I can tell you that Seti when he's on a running schedule drops pounds like an English Lord[;)]

Not knowing what kind of shape your in its hard to recommend what to use. But, if your more than 75 pounds over weight I dont recommend a treadmill. I would suggest the bike. Its much friendlier in the joint department. Slowly work up to a treadmill. As far as weights go start slow. It takes up to 6 months for your body to learn how to properly repair itself. So, little is best. Always remember that lifting weights dont build muscle: its the actual healing that does so give yourself plenty of recovery time. I have the opposite problem. I am 6'2" and my normal weight is about 160. If I skip breakfast I lose 5 pounds. Ive managed to build to 205, although due to a neck injury I have lost 10 pounds and havent been in the gym for about 2 months(not workout related injury). I started out not being able to bench 135 pounds twice. After 5 years(yes 5 years) I have been able to double my strengh. My first 6 months I saw no real improvement, but after a year I couldnt believe the results. So, be patient and persistent.

So, little is best. Always remember that lifting weights dont build muscle: its the actual healing that does so give yourself plenty of recovery time.

Ummm when you lift you tear the muscles and enables the muscles to heal larger than prior. But it is right that the healing makes you bigger hence steroids. If you do not work out and use steroids you don't get as big as everyone says. Steroids help alot in the healing process of tissues. Hence they give alot of steroids to patiences with nerve damage and spinal injuries in hopes that the steroids will heal the nerve cells or tissue damage that has occured. Or athletes use it to cheat and heal faster. Steroids if I remember my high school biology is a double bond lipid (aka fat)