WAY O/T exercise

dtel

• Moderators

Has anyone bought or used a Bowflex.

http://www.bowflexshop.com/bhg_microsite/productinformation/xtreme2/prdcdovr~6600014/Bowflex+Xtreme+2+Home+Gym.jsp

Thinking about getting one. I use to go to the gym and stopped because of the inconvenience, but it did make me feel much better when I went.

And it woulden't kill me to loose some weight ! 6' 3" 265 #

dtel, A bowflex is ok, frree weights are better, a GOOD Quality treadmill is a much better, and more sensitble way to go.......of course that's just an oldbuckster's opinion.....weight loss, and heart building are more important than building muscle. I can not stress to you enough how much more good use will come from a GOOD tread mill, and with time the weight will disappear, you'll feel better, and in the long run, your heart will thank you. Hop on the tread mill, but on some music, and walk yourself to better health. Who knows, maybe the little lady will join in, not that she needs to......easy Mrs. Dtel.....your only improving what you have....and you both will benefit. Tread mill is the best way to go.Look in the $1000. range, give or take , you will thank me in the end. Bowflex very expensive, and I bet in the end, it becomes a Dust Collector..................

dtel,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree with Oldbuckster in principle, but would substitute a NordicTrack for the treadmill. Ive used a NT regularly for more than a decade. I supplement the NT with free weights, pushups and sit-ups.

Due to an old knee injury (water skiing), the NT works better for me than a treadmill. It also has the advantage of simultaneously exercising the arms. They seem tricky at first, but after a few minutes, youll feel like an Olympic cross-country skier, and Ive never cross country skied.

Like most home exercise equipment, dust catching NTs and treadmills are readily available used for a fraction of their cost new.

Exercise is boring, but with treadmills, including NT, you can watch TV while you exercise.

Good luck.

dtel: We have a Bowflex Ultimate and a NordicTrack Classic Pro Skier. You really need both as they are different "tools": One for building and toning muscle and the other for cardio. I like them both, but I would prefer to have a treadmill instead of the NordicTrack for cardio. Some folks like the new elliptical models but there is some current speculation about what they may do to the body's pelic region. So, the school's still out for me on those.

Without getting into the whole Bowflex/freeweight discussion, I have used both and if I were going to the gym where there is plenty of room, I would prefer free weights or a weight machine. At home, the Bowflex is better for me because it is compact, more practical, less weight and easier to store when we entertain, yet it still gets the job done.

Expect to spend at least $2,500 - $3,000 for the two items. They are like anything else you consider: If you are really serious about having these tools available in your home, try to buy quality or you will be disappointed when things break. Best of luck.

Couple of comments: Cardio is important, but if you are getting older, it is critical that you keep up bone mass and strength. Weight training is key to this.

Bowflex vs weight machine vs free weights. It comes down to personal preference. The key is that you do it.

We have had a True 550 treadmill for 5 years and love it. It is long and wide and I can run and sprint up to 12 mph with no complaints. Expect to pay $2K or more for a good treadmill. Stick with name brands such as True, Precor etc. Stay away from sears. While the Nordic Track ski machines have a good reputation, their treadmills are not very reliable.

Consumer reports and Runners World have good reviews.

As for weights, we have a Body Solid rack with barbell as well as hex dumbell sets.

Something like this: http://www.bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=489&ItemLabel=GPR378%3a+Body-Solid+Power+Rack

add accessories like an inclide decline bench, leg curl/extension etc. You can get good discounts, delivered to your house from many discount fitness web sites.

BTW I am 45, and have noticed that lots of simple chores around the house are easier since I restarded fitness training 5 years ago: up/down Ladders, chopping wood, taking out the gabage... moving the LaScalas, carrying my wife to bed...

I would also suggest spending some money with a personal fitness instructor just to begin with for a few sessions. You can do lots of damage with bad lifting form and posture. This is especially true if you are getting older like I am. It is easier to get injured and takes longer to recover. Start easy and build up over time.

• Moderators

One more point, not the one on my head, either, Diet............get off the SEEFOOD diet, see food and eat, bad, bad, bad.............

Yes that seefood diet is not helping.

It was not just me others in this house want to do it, some are going to a gym, some have gone in the past. Not that any were in shape.

Probably end up going with the majority, well see. Anything would be better than nothing, in moderation at first. When I went to a gym in the past I diden't loose weight but I did feel better.

Before you spend thousands of dollars........

A simple step stool is one of my favorite pieces of exercise equipment - you probably already own one. Select a height that's easy on your knees, step up, step down, alternate the leading foot occasionally, start around six minutes and work up to twenty minutes, you can work in free weights as you go. You'll be an animal.

post-17394-13819308062296_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Efzauner :

" We have had a True 550 treadmill for 5 years and love it. It is long and wide and I can run and sprint up to 12 mph with no complaints"

No joke, if I had to run 12 miles I would be dead before I got to 2 miles, never make 12 miles with 10 mad pit bulls chasing me.

Disclaimer: " Pit Bulls was just picked as a breed of dog, I have never had a " Pit Bull " or had a problem with one. No " Pit Bulls were harmed in the making of this thread.

Thank you

I forgot to mention that push-ups (not bras), sit-ups and pull-ups are all great additions to the step-up routine. Try push-ups with both hands on a basketball - keeping your balance on the basketball incorporates a lot of other muscles. It's all very effective and cheap, cheap, cheap.

• Moderators

I don't know if it makes a difference but I do get plenty of exercise. We do landscaping, building beds, planting trees, and irrigation systems, ourselves no hired labor, for 13 years.

I know my main problem is eating, but the extra exercise did make me feel better even after working all day, and especially in between jobs.

We like to have more free time than work time and the exercise made it easier when we do go back to work. I know it sounds strange having more time off than at work but I had jobs working over 100 hours a week. That is not living, I had not seen my house for years in the daylight, or the kids awake, and no time off or vacation.

Being self employed and what we do we now have way more time off than we work.

We do OK, more money is not everything we tried that, time off is more fun, even if it is without unlimited money.

not that I'm any expert, but aerobics and flexibilty might be the key for your program Dtel. If you work hard physically all day long you are getting your weight lifting in. But if you're sore, something like (don't laugh) yoga would give some additional strength training, balance, and most importantly, keep you limber and flexible so you can work for more years.

Aerobics is important to us all. I've been walking a brisk pace on a local trail for 4 miles per day. Just did a weekend hiking up and down some ravines and was just exhausted. Hills kill!

Good luck to us all with our programs. I used to lose weight during the summer, then put it back on, plus a little every winter. Now it's just gain, gain gain. Got to do something. If I lost like 70 pounds, I'd have a brand new (old) wardrobe instead of these 2X t-shirts I wear everywhere.

A simple step stool is one of my favorite pieces of exercise equipment - you probably already own one. Select a height that's easy on your knees, step up, step down, alternate the leading foot occasionally, start around six minutes and work up to twenty minutes, you can work in free weights as you go. You'll be an animal.

Forum Member silversport (Bill) was found laying unconcious on the floor in his home today. It seems he was doing step ups on his step stool when the step stool slid on the hardwood floor and Bill fell backwards striking his head...when asked if he was okay upon returning to conciousness Bill replied "Gotta watch Wapner, People's Court comes on at 4:30...yeah...[;)]

Bill

• Moderators

Your probably right, aerobics would probably kill me though, although watching those girls do it when I worked out at the gym was enough to get my hart rate up alone.[:D]

I was rarely sore but it did make me feel great, I don't care if I never get in great shape just want to feel better. I don't really know why but a more constance work out felt better, I had originally went to the gym to try to loose weight but the feeling i got was not expected.

And it was not the girls doing the aerobics that made me feel better, although it didn't hurt either.

• Moderators

The older you get the easier it goes on........the harder it gets to take it off...FACT Brother

Oh i know less than a month from being 49, it is a fact I can feel it, the older I get the more I feel it.

Silversport that was funny ! but you left out the part about wakeing up with everybody laughing at me. I tease and play jokes on everybody here and they love to get me back.

Forum Member silversport (Bill) was found laying unconcious on the floor in his home today. It seems he was doing step ups on his step stool when the step stool slid on the hardwood floor and Bill fell backwards striking his head...when asked if he was okay upon returning to conciousness Bill replied "Gotta watch Wapner, People's Court comes on at 4:30...yeah...[;)]

Bill

[:D][:D][:D]........definitely.

[^o)] I'm glad that I forgot to include jumping rope as another effective and cheap exercise - I don't want to read about any accidental self-inflicted hangings.

Your probably right, aerobics would probably kill me though, although watching those girls do it when I worked out at the gym was enough to get my hart rate up alone.[:D]

I was rarely sore but it did make me feel great, I don't care if I never get in great shape just want to feel better. I don't really know why but a more constance work out felt better, I had originally went to the gym to try to loose weight but the feeling i got was not expected.

And it was not the girls doing the aerobics that made me feel better, although it didn't hurt either.

My exact feelings. I have been going to the gym 3 or 4 days a week for a year now. The oxygen flow helps me get through the day better. The eliptical machine is easier on my knees & I burn more calories. Weight machine for me because I don't want to mess with a spotter.

Living in a college town the eye candy is good as well.