Altec A7

soundbound

I may have a chance to buy some Altec A7 bass cabinets with woofers for $350. They're beat up some. Where is a good place to buy the metal horns, drivers, and crossovers? There seems to be many options. Can anyone recommend the best ones? Does a member here build crossovers for them and how much cost? What does a complete A7 pair sound like? Are they worth owning? Any advice would be very helpful and much appreciated. Thanks.

I've always liked A7's. They have a smooth mid-and-upper bass that is hard to beat.

There are several thing going for the design. First, all of the drivers can be aligned in the same plane giving great phase and polar response. Second, the low end isn't too bad, either. They are quite efficient, too.

This is when the "right" drivers are used. Most tend to stay with the original Altec components. However, it is a nice platform to play around with, too. Bear in mind that the original 416/516 drivers (did I get that right Altec dudes?) are rated at 75 watts max! Many, many A7's/825's have been used literally for DECADES in theaters and live bands for PA's so that is probably NOT a big limitation that you are likely to run into in home use!

All in all, I'd say: if you have the space (they are pretty big), then by all means, if you get a good deal, go for it.

DM

The VOTTs are a superb set of speakers, albeit with less WAF than Khorns(unless you get the Magnificants, the walnut veneered home version.)

Great Plains Audio is the direct descendant of the Altec ashes, and they have everything you could want to get almost any Altec up and running(shout of thanks to Tom Brennan!)

The 511 horns with 902 drivers seem to be the bees' knees, tho 811 horns and 802? drivers are quite common as well. The Altec midhorn rolls off around 17kHz, but they are slightly more open in the mid/high than the Khorn, IMO. Check out Updates and Mods for all the detailed info you need.