HELP!! Need to find article re music study course

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

I am having trouble finding an article I read recently, and it is driving me nuts. I could have sworn that it was in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, but I have gone through ever copy in my house and can't find the article. I hope the description which follows will jog someones memory and they can point me in the right direction.

The article had to do with a home study course on classical music, taught by a respected college professor. The company that distributed the course apparently is a well known outlet for home study courses and uses only well known college professors to do the courses.

If this rings a bell, or if you have heard of the company please let me know,

Thanks,

Travis

Travis,

I don't know the article you read which mentioned the source.

But you should do a Google for "The Teaching Company".

That got me to their site.

It is interesting that they have so many liberal arts type CD, DVD, etc. by the best of college professors. As you will see, there is quite a bit about music history and theory.

Something for everyone.

Best,

Gil

I think Gil is right -- The Teaching Company's "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music," featuring Dr. Robert Greenberg of the San Francisco Conservatory of Music.

I have the VHS version -- 12 tapes in all! Greenberg has to have vast knowledge to be able to cover the entire history of music! I've only watched the first tape, but would like to get back to it some day.

Larry

• Moderators

Thank you for the information, I am sure that is the outfit, and professor that was mentioned in the article. It was just driving me crazy that I could not find or remember the article. I have decided to get trying to figure out where I read it and make arrangements to get the course and start in on it. Thanks for your help Larry.

Travis