Klipschorns vs Summits and Amplifier Matching

edwinr

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspect Bottlhead amps, because of their circuit topology, are prone to hum and other noise. I guess there are things you forgive in something you build yourself. It's a worry though when you have noise and reliability problems with 'hi-end' amplifiers that you paid full retail for. I have had these problems and they have left my very suspicious of certain manufacturer's products. The Bottlehead Forum is very good and can help those like me who have very little technical training. I can solder and I can just barely make work my way through a circuit diagram. But that's it!

I would love to try one of those 2A3 kits, and compare with my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3s. I find them absolutely wonderful on my LS when driven by my JM Merlin. Sounds far better than when I used the BBX with them.

Bruce

I heard Summits and recently heard Saunders Sound Systems at AXPONA. (See Deprecating the Gods article at EnjoyTheMusic.com.) I recently attended AXPONA again, the largest high-end audio show on the East Coast. I briefly interviewed about 50 different exhibitors about their sound systems for StereoList.com. The videos are linked to StereoList.com and the Audio Tube Amp, Big Ole Horns, and The Tweaking Audiophile fan pages at Facebook.

The Khorn bass measures deep and flat – flatter than Cornwalls or probably Martine Logans. A lot of speakers intentionally bump up in the upper bass and treble. B&W 800 Diamonds do. Yet the Saunders electrostatics were wonderful sounding and only $16K!

It amazes me that after over 60 years of production, the Klipschorn can still sit in the same room as modern top notch loudspeaker system and not be embarrassed. It's a concept that many would think is nonsensical. I know the Klipschorn has had incremental updates over the years, but the basic design is unchanged. What I don't understand, is how much smoother and more dynamic the Klipschorn sounds compared with the La Scala/Belle, while using essentially the same drivers(?).

I originally thought that my Belles c/w a Klipsch subwoofer would offer very similar sound to a Pair of Klipschorns in good corners. After owning both, I realise how wrong I was. The Klipschorn is a totally different animal, and the La Scala/Belle offer only around 80% of what the Klipschorns offer. The Summits can comfortably 'better' the Belles in the categories I mentioned before, but not the Klipschorns.

P.S. This is not to bag my Belles. They are a great buy and an audiophile bargain. It's just that the Klipschorns are so much better.

P.P.S To put this into perspective, if I now had choice between the following similarly priced speakers that I am familiar with; the new Summit X, the Magnapan MG20.1R, the ATC SCM100ASL, the Wilson Audio Sophia 3, and the Klipschorn AK5, I would without hesitation, buy the Klipschorns. If I had bought the Klipschorns instead of the Summits, I would probably still have them - I would have found some other way to raise money...

I totally agree, the LaScalas with subs are still not

Khorns. After AXPONA, again, I was worried about turning on my Khorns. Shouldn't

be. They have faults. They need ALK crossovers, better mid and high-end horns,

punchier mid-bass, deep bass sub, maybe even a colored scrim to make their

semi-truck size fit into family sedan living rooms more easily, but the big ole

horns still give wide, bright, ringing, clear, quick, dynamic and natural

sound! Not as warm and cozy in the recording studio feel of many small cone

systems, but effortlessly engaging for the price.

I would love to try one of those 2A3 kits, and compare with my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3s. I find them absolutely wonderful on my LS when driven by my JM Merlin. Sounds far better than when I used the BBX with them.

Bruce

Bruce, I see that the Moondogs are no longer available, which is a shame. At the moment, the Stereomour is the least expensive 2A3 kit available.

Sunnysal, I see you're a 2A3 fan as well! This seems to be the tube of choice, and many seem to favor it over the 300B designs.

You may have noticed, I changed my avatar just for fun. From a SET denier to a possible(?) convert!

The Moondogs haven't been available for quite some time. You can, though, still purchase the assembly manual and parts lists, making it possible to build your own... shall we say "Clonedogs".

Tony's 2A3s are P-P design, built by J. Lessard. that give's him a little more ooomph!

Bruce