FS: 1980 Cornwalls, BR, glass tops SOLD

RichardP

I am selling two 1980 Cornwalls ("U" serial code) which have refurbished crossovers and new tweeter diaphragms. I bought these from a forum member in 2004, because I wanted to hear CWs for myself. They are great, of course, but my taste, in terms of both sound and visual decor, favors my original Forte/Academy HT system, so I hope to pass these CWs on to another deserving Klipsch aficionado. The speakers were originally raw birch, but were finished by a previous owner with a walnut satin stain (slight gloss). The color is very close to the walnut oil stain used on other models. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

They have black glass tops, which are secured with adhesive. When I bought them, one glass top was cracked, so I removed it and installed another replacement piece. The glass tops were installed by an owner previous to the owner I got them from, so the exact intent behind the glass is unknown. One possible reason, which emerged after I removed the broken piece, was to cover a 3 or 4 sq inch area which did not take the stain, and appears yellowish, rather than the dark walnut brown. The remaining visible surfaces (sides, front edges, risers) took the stain very evenly, and it almost looks like a factory finish with a nice visible grain pattern. There are some very small and unnoticeable chips/splits on the edges of the risers. As far as overall condition of the wood surfaces, I would rate these an 8 or 8.5 out of 10.

Another modification done by someone in the distant past is that they have different K-33 woofers, for reasons unknown. One of the pair has a square magnet K-33-B (from CTS in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />Brownsville), while the other has a round magnet K-33 (no suffix letter, but looks identical to the K-33-E Bob Crites sells on Ebay). A Klipsch representative informed me that both the B and E models were used in CWs, in fact, at one time simultaneously. They sound the same, so there is no sonic issue whatsoever. Tweeter and midrange are stock and identical. After purchasing them, both I and the seller were surprised to find both tweeters dead. Bob Crites came to the rescue and replaced the diaphragms, and while he was at it, updated the caps in both crossovers.

Lastly, a small modification is that a previous owner used small screws in each corner of the grills; apparently the velcro failed, and the grills would not stay flat. Each screw has a little black cover button, which actually does not look bad at all. Overall, despite these aftermarket modifications, these speakers are quite attractive and will fit in the decor of most any listening room.

These are for local pickup only. I will be willing to meet a buyer halfway, up to a maximum of 150 miles one way. I am in Stillwater, Oklahoma, so people in Kansas, Arkansas, SW Missouri, and north Texas are in the potential delivery zone. I have a little over $800 in these, so $800 is what I would like to get. Considering my contribution to delivery, the price is firm. PM or email me from here.

Pictures are posted below.

first photo

EDIT: keep scrolling, photos below.

OK, what am I doing wrong? I reply to my first post, select "options," select "attach," browse my drive for the photo, select it with "save," which returns me to "attach/save" or "remove," then I hit "post." Only my text posted. Please help.

Did you try to do a preview first?

That will cause you to lose the image for some weird reason.

After you save the attachment, just hit post.

No, Amy, I did not use the Preview option at all. Notice that the

filename appears in my second post, but clicking on it returns a "file

not found" message.

EDIT: just a little more; keep scrolling. Ignore grumbling post below...

OK, I have tried to post a friggin' photo for the past 20 minutes, to no avail. I am following the only sequence of selections/options that one can do to post attachments, and it still doesn't work. There is obviously a history of problems with this aspect of the forum software, as can be seen by the numerous posts of people asking why can't they post pictures. Let's get a webmaster to address this problem, please.
For the time being, if anyone is interested in the Cornwalls, email/PM me and I will send individual images directly.

Personally I like glass tops, I have them on my LS and CW's in the Hearth room. I think it might bother some people that these are somewhat permanently affixed and that the beautiful wood grain is not visible, therefore decreasing percieved value.

It cost me $90 do a pair of each of the above in 1/4" clear glass with polished edges. It sure saves worry when the guys come over!

M

Personally I like glass tops, I have them on my LS and CW's in the Hearth room. I think it might bother some people that these are somewhat permanently affixed and that the beautiful wood grain is not visible, therefore decreasing percieved value.

It cost me $90 do a pair of each of the above in 1/4" clear glass with polished edges. It sure saves worry when the guys come over!

M

It's not such a bad idea, protects from stains, sun bleaching, can set stuff on it with out marking up the tops,................

Personally I like glass tops, I have them on

my LS and CW's in the Hearth room. I think it might bother some people

that these are somewhat permanently affixed and that the beautiful wood

grain is not visible, therefore decreasing percieved value.

Like I said in the description, I think the glass was put on to cover

up a blemish that couldn't be fixed, so unfortunately there's not

really a "beautiful wood grain" underneath. The yellow spot under the

glass looked possibly like a natural grain defect in the top ply which

would not absorb the walnut stain, although it may have looked fine

when unfinished. I also thought it could have been where someone was

trying to correct a bad spot and sanded all the way through the top

ply, exposing the next glue layer, or a rough internal ply, so they

just decided to cover them up with glass.