Tube rolling the Quicksilver Audio Horn Monos

Tarheel

Hi Chuck,

I've been reading the posts in this thread and I must say I am quite confused. I'm not sure where you are coming from when you say you need KT-88s in the 20ma-25ma range?

I have a pair of Horn Monos, as well, and as far as I know one can safely insert any tube from the EL-34, 6550, KT-88, KT-90, and 6L6 family without fear of overloading. Mike Sanders has spent a considerable amount of time and effort in designing the Horn monos to be safe to use with any of the aforementioned tubes. As you know they are self biasing, and will compensate for the variances within each family, indeed, each individual tube.

I routinely switch between the Valve Art EL-34s and Tung-Sol 6550s without so much as a second thought. I'm sure you can use any KT-88 that is currently available today, safely and without concern. If this is not the case then both you and I, and all Horn mono amp users, have been misled.

William

I know you are all tired of the hand wringing about tube compatability so I have settled on JJ KT-77s, a copy of the Marconi-Osram tube when they were part of GEC. Doug said that all his NYC customers are dropping their EL-34s in favor of this tube in their Marantz 8s and Dynacos. Not being able to hear them first I am going on his reccommendation.

Thanks Craig for hooking me up with this tube dealer.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chuck,

I've been reading the posts in this thread and I must say I am quite confused. I'm not sure where you are coming from when you say you need KT-88s in the 20ma-25ma range?

I have a pair of Horn Monos, as well, and as far as I know one can safely insert any tube from the EL-34, 6550, KT-88, KT-90, and 6L6 family without fear of overloading. Mike Sanders has spent a considerable amount of time and effort in designing the Horn monos to be safe to use with any of the aforementioned tubes. As you know they are self biasing, and will compensate for the variances within each family, indeed, each individual tube.

I routinely switch between the Valve Art EL-34s and Tung-Sol 6550s without so much as a second thought. I'm sure you can use any KT-88 that is currently available today, safely and without concern. If this is not the case then both you and I, and all Horn mono amp users, have been misled.

William

So EL-34's and KT-88's are interchangeable, or is this a feature that depends on the amp?

The original owner of my horn monos did a lot of tube rolling prior to selling me his amps. He assured me that you could use any tube that would fit the socket and that the amps are self biasing. He listed many of his favorites but sold me the amps with the original tubes. As stated earlier at Craig's advice I went to Dougs Tubes and talked with him about his favorites. I decided on the JJ KT-77s, a copy of the Marconi Osram tube when they were a part of GEC. I have been pleased with the results and the tubes were not expensive.

Chuck

William,

It is very much Amp dependant. So the only source that can answer that is the designer of the amp or a technician with experince with the amp in question. In most cases the answer is no. The answer is even NO to the horn monos unless choice low current tested sets are used to insure that the KT88's do not burn the amp down.

Craig

NOSValves

Intresting, so EL-34's may work in place of a KT-88 but a KT-88 is unlikely to work in place of an EL-34 unless the amp was designed for it and certain grade of KT-88's are used.

In other words, kids, do not try this at home.

• 8 months later...

Hal.......So the difference was really noticable? I could not say the change from EL-34s to KT-77s was that great in my horn monos so now I am thinking about Tung Sol 6550s. Kinda interesting that you resurrected this old thread on the day I was researching tubes for the amps and the Jolida 100. Glad you are pleased with your tube rolling. I will let you know when I get the 6550s.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

I replaced Sovtek 6550's with the RCA 6L6's. Used em' for about 8 months. A friend of mine who repairs Hammond organs gave em' to me. I thought the 6550's showed a great improvement in the bass region with perhaps a little sacrifice of the upper mid and high end. But I think the MOST NOTICABLE change was when I replaced the stock Ei 7247's with Telefunken 7247's.

Hal

About 6 months ago I switched from New Mullard EL 34s to SED winged C 6L6Gcs and really liked them. I am at the point that I do not want to spend any more money on tube rolling.

I am sure there are some better sounding NOS tubes out there but at 2,3, 4 tiems the cost I don't feel they are worth it.

I thinkg the only other tube I would like to try is the Valve Art KT 66s but at $140 a quad I am not willing to try them.

Good luck with your search.

I thinkg the only other tube I would like to try is the Valve Art KT 66s but at $140 a quad I am not willing to try them.

$140 a quad where the heck are you getting that price from? I can get them for about $95 for a matched quad.

Thanks for the reply Hal. I had heard that I would get more bang for the buck changing out the 12DW7 tubes and I did just that a year ago. I was told to try to find some nos from the 50s but had to settle for some Phillips tubes from the 80s. Looking at nos Mullard 12DW7s as we speak. Also have been looking at some Tung Sol 6550s power amp tubes from Dougstubes.com.

This is what I need to retube the Quicksilver Audio Full Function preamp. 12AX7 (2), 12AU7 (1), 12FQ7 (2), 5AR4 (1). Can get the whole set from QS but they are all new chinese and russian tubes. Would like to find some nos for the preamp. Any suggestions appreciated.

JBSL and Craig....tube rolling can be expensive and in the back of my mind I doubt the change is worth the expense. I got the KT-77s not long ago and doubt the difference in those and the 6550s is significant. Correct me if Iam wrong. Craig I think I remember reading in another thread that you like the 6550s.

Mike at QS does'nt think much of tube rolling since he voices the amps for certain tubes but at the same time he built the horn monos for those who have horn speakers and like to tube roll.