Mixing subs

oogins

Because I have the Quintets, I need a sub with good extension to 120 Hz. Based on responses from TheEAR and TVodhanel, the best subs for this would be the SVS 25-31CS and the M&K VX-100. However, I would also like to get another sub for the low bass extensions (<25 Hz). So here are a couple possibilities I'm considering:

#1 - Ill get an M&K VX-100 for the high bass. To compensate for the lower bass (<25 Hz), Im thinking I should also get an SVS 16-46PC.

#2 - Ill get an SVS 25-31CS for the high bass. For low bass, I would also get an SVS 16-46CS and connect it to the other channel on the Samson S700.

There might be a possibility of the 16-46PC overpowering the VX-100 in the first option. I'm thinking Ill be able to turn the volume on the VX-100 all the way up, and with the help of a Rat Shack SPL meter I'll adjust the volume of the 16-46PC so they play at the same level. The same goes with the second option. I will adjust the volumes of both subs so one doesnt overpower the other. Im leaning towards #1 because I believe the smaller driver of the M&K will play the higher frequencies clearer, but #2 is a bit cheaper. BTW, my room dimensions are 11.5'x10.8'x7.8' and it backs on to another room with 13.5'x8.6'x7.8' dimensions.

So whats your opinion on either of these setups? Do you think there will be any problems with either of them?

Im not a sub expert but do own one svs cs Ultra with another on the way. In that size room the 25-31 will extend quite a bit lower than the 25hz tuning point. Hopefully TV will chime in and back me up. If you feel that it isnt low enough for you you could always have them retune them to around 22hz although you would give up a db or 2 in the higher octaves. But with 2 25-31 I really doubt you would be able notice. Dont also rule out the dual 20-39's they would give you plenty of extension below 25hz

Oogins,

Both options could work well,you see I am in the mix and match.I use Velodyne with Revel and Aerial Acoustics!Works damn well thank you.And in the small room Sunfire Signature,Mark II,Junior and Carver Knight Shadow...you can guess the Signature is the sub of sub bass.And the Junior a super tweeter. LOL

If matched well(levels and cutoff,phase)you can have many brands and types(ported,sealed and other types)and all can be well integrated.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Sorry I forgot,the M&K VX-100 should have plenty of output in the lower bass/upper sub bass(if I can call it this way)to keep up with the SVS(used as deep bass sub).

The single 8" driver in the VX-100 has surprising punch.Its not a Sunfire killer in any way down low,but for fast slam and kick its a great choice.And with the tiny Quintets it will provide a perfect transition.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Do you have a outboard X-over?(oogins)

If one had a crossover with variable settings,

you can run both subs summed mono out of each channel of the X-over to the amp,

(Provided it has left and right channel volume)

and then you can roll off the one smaller sub

before the lower tuned one.

A Two-Way sub of sorts.

I don't know, but IMO, this setup would work

better with the subs next to each other,

working as one, from low to high extentsion.

My 2 cents.

THANX!

Oogins,

I wouldn't try mixing...as this is trying to correct a problem that you're simply assuming exists. I'd find the actual lowend extension you could expect from your quints(maybe 100hz?)...and then pick a subwoofer that extends from 100hz down to the extension you desire.(within your budget of course).

TV