HT amplification, what do you think?

PhilMays

Hi gang,

I have decided that I did not have enough power to drive my system in my new theater due to it's large size. I had a AMC 150 WPC 5 channel amp driving RF-7's, RC-7, RF-3's, and a RS-7.

On ebay I have purchased a Yamaha M-80 260 WPC 2 channel amp, Carver M-500 250 WPC 2 channel amp and I will get another 250 watt amp shortly.

So far I only have the Yammy and am waiting on the Carver. I am getting these amps at about $350 to $400 each delivered.

What (watt.... hahahah) do you think. Should I have gone with a single amp or do you think this will be OK?

Phil

I can't speak as to the Reference line but my Hearatage line speakers fill my 17 x 20 room just fine with 100wpc from the Yamaha AVR I have. I went and added a Yamaha M50 (120wpc) to drive the mains, just to ease the load on the power supply of the AVR. There was a noticeable increase in the quality of the sound from the mains but the meters on the M50 are showing 0.3 w for normal 75db audio and go up to a whopping 3w with the explosions etc. I would think you will be fine with the M80 (you can power it in class A mode for even better audio quality). As to mixing amps, I don't know my amps are both Yamaha. You should be more than fine whith the power available to you.

Yikes, that's asking quite a bit from them RF-7's.

Knowing that info I would probably sooner move to pro amps to take advantage of the great damping and low impedance handling. A Crown K2 would be a perfect option, but also very expensive. I'm not aware of any other high output fanless options, but the QSC amps are real quiet and the Crown XTi amps are getting rave reviews.

Btw, what about the sound makes you feel like your amp is struggling? You might consider setting your mains to small and consolidating your subwoofage into something more potent. That's a lot of space to fill.

I use ATI's 2505 with my front RF7's (250W PC into 8Ohms,this valid even when all channels are driven).I can fill my larger 16*24 room with 12ft high cellings with ease and this using maybe 50W/pc on peaks..it gets LOUD.RF7's are efficient and with the power of the amps you will use you have plenty of power.

15x25 space is not at all that large and the 50x40 total surface will simply imply you will never have COMPRESSION at high SPL when you sit in the 15*25 theater area.

I doubt you expect to blast your ears off with the music while sitting at the other end of the house.[;)] For this only immense commnercial JBL or Klipsch mains would suffice and you would have near structural damage in the 15*25 area.

With rooms open to large areas it is recomended to use larger subs capable of displacing major air(like dual SVS PB2-Ultra or similar)to get a palpable deep bass.