Interconnects and HF roll-off

PhilMays

Currently I have my power amps about 7 feet from my pre/pro. I have purchased or scrounged cheaper interconnects until I could decided what to use. All speakers respond OK. However for the center have some cable that has HF roll-off or distortion for voices.

I am going to purchase some nice interconnects and have read something on THX certified cables that do not have the roll-off problem of the mid and hi frequancy. I am considering buying three sets of Monster m1000 interconnects (8 feet) that are THX certified.

I do have RF problems as well. If I raise the wires above the TV (run across the TV and cannot see) this problem goes away.

I guess I'm asking ...is THX certified "all that and a bag of peanuts"?

Thanks for your comments.

Phil

Go ahead and spend your money. Hey it is your money after

all. For me, most anything above the quality of Rat Shack "gold line"

is wasted. It is not as sexy to say I have $20 interconnects but the quality of

the wire and connectors is good and so is the construction quality. I do not believe

in magic wire. Perhaps more so for speaker wire than interconnects as the

signal is smaller in interconnects. Good components, good build quality is good

enough.......... YMMV[;)]

Well, That wasn't quite my question.

I'm talking about HF roll-off. When a strong signal is sent to my center, it sort of has a roll off or is not very clear. I have a RC-7 and a Yamaha RX-Z1 as a pre/pro. I never had that problem before until I moved my amps so far away from the Pre/Pro and have used a cheap interconnect going to that amp.

I have read where THX certified was developed in cables especially to address this problem.

I do not know this to be true myself. Does anyone have any comments about the roll off problem if a cheap cable is not the problem?

Phil

It's most likely a fault with the cable itself. A bad connection will have the same symptoms. Try moving your cheap cable around and see if the problem follows the cable. If not, then you probably have an issue with your pre/pro.

If you're convinced that it's an issue with the cable and you want to "upgrade" - then all you need to do is move to a cable of a lower guage (thicker wire). There is no need to move to fancy expensive wires if your only goal is flat HF extension.

To answer your question, "THX certificication" is not all that and a bag of peanuts - it's just a marketing ploy, nothing else.

To answer your question, "THX certificication" is not all that and a bag of peanuts - it's just a marketing ploy, nothing else.

Well, its a "minimum quality standard" but one has to wonder what that means in terms of cables? If you are refering to "skin effect" that some people bring up I believe that's only an issue in the RF range of frequencies. If you are hearing (or not hearing) HF rolloff, it could very well be your own ear! Men start to lose HF hearing fairly early, if I recall.

Well, its a "minimum quality standard" but one has to wonder what that means in terms of cables? If you are refering to "skin effect" that some people bring up I believe that's only an issue in the RF range of frequencies. If you are hearing (or not hearing) HF rolloff, it could very well be your own ear! Men start to lose HF hearing fairly early, if I recall.

Phil,

First the expensive wires(interconnacets and speaker wire)are mostly alchemy of old ,better than standard quality but the gain is too often not audible.

Well shielded wires with proper conductivity and low loss are all that is needed.I for example purchased Cardas Golden Cross and Monster Sigma wires for fun and for looks.And maybe they improve the sound,but considering I have gear that is often at $5000-8000 per audio piece it is less crazy,a bit less anyway.

Just make sure you use GA12 speaker wires with properly installed banana plugs at the end and some quality double shielded coax with again quality plugs with a tight fit and you should not hear any frequency loss due to wires.

THX certification has no worth to me,even Logitech boom boom speakers are THX certified ! Sure this is not the same THX certification you have for true HiFi but it is no insurance of high quality. The best gear too often has no THX certification BTW.

Thanks Ear,

My center is what is "rolling off" on the highs. I may be misdescribing the problem. At the high end I hear a "crackle" when the speaker is driven and usually in a "voice or speaking" signal to the center. I'm calling that rolling off but it could be something else.

I use an Kimber 8TC speaker cable run. I have not been able to distinguish audible differences too much in speaker wire outside of guage. I have noticed a difference in interconnects though.

I have been leary of the THX certification in the past but I thought if their was something to it in interconncets then I may try it.

Heck I may anyways as I can get three sets of 8 foot delivered for about $160 which is not the end of the world.

Phil

Phil,

Your Kimber 8TC's are a good cable, unless you have a bad connection somewhere (loose wire, bad binding post) you shouldn't be hearing a crackle unless you are over driving the speaker (similar to bottoming out a bass driver). To reiterate what Dr. Who and others have said, start simply by turning down volume and treble to see if you are over driving the speaker. Next, if you can switch around your cables and connections with that speaker you may be able to narrow down the problem. You may also be able to check by unscrewing the RCA to see if there is a loose wire at the solder point, unless your interconnects have a heat shrink over them (I had to cut my heat shrink away to actually see the break on mine). If it's not the cable and you are handy, you can carefully (unplug from electricity and let the processor or amp discharge before opening the case, to check the RCA or binding posts for a loose connection. Same with the speaker. Remove the connection cup on the rear of the speaker and check those for loose connections, they can all break if they have had cables frequently attached and removed less than gently).

I have 9' runs of low end Tributaries (about $30 for 4 meters a pair) interconnects between my processor and my amps that work without problems. Another inexpensive and well made interconnect I've used lately are Knukoncepz. I've used both their Eks (silver plated copper coax) which were too bright for my taste and their all copper stranded Krystal Kables which I currently use (they are also cheap, a 4 meter pair are only $16).

Let us know how things work out for you.