Why all this conversation about Cross overs

lech

Yes, I am probably a stupid Swede .

In so many, to many treads due to my opinion there are discussions about the cross over filters. Are they really so bad from Klipsch so all these efforts are needed. Upgradings, changes ... Or it is "low hanging fruits". Tweeks.

Little bit worry for my -94 Khorns. Are my ears a hint for this ....?. Have not heard any need. ( Yet ??? )

Please advise

BR

Lech

there is nothing at all wrong with 1994 k-horn crossovers...AK-3 right? however, many of us have noticed that upgrading the quality of coils and caps can have a positive affect on sound. others find changes in the circuit design (going back to type A or AA) to result in a better sound in thier system, with thier equipment, thier room, their music, etc. I think that if you are happy with the sound from your speakers, leave them alone. if you are not, the first place to start would be the caps and coils in the crossover. other will disgree, but IMHO freshening the crossover made a nice difference in my bass and treble. tony

Most of the crossover stuff you read about on this forum are actually repairs and not upgrades. Repair meaning defective paper and oil capacitors are being replaced with the same type and value due changes in their electrical properties as they age.

Your AK-3's have the Mylar and polypropylene variety. Which last longer than the paper and oil type.

An upgrade would be replacing the capacitors with metal film types or replacing the iron core inductors with air core types that could also consist of solid core, lintz wire or ribbon types.

Your AK-3 have steeper slopes incorporated which provides better imaging detail and better driver power handling protection than the gentle slope AA networks do.

SF said: "Most of the crossover stuff you read about on this forum are actually repairs and not upgrades. Repair meaning defective paper and oil capacitors are being replaced with the same type and value due changes in their electrical properties as they age."

Some very old crossovers made in the 50s and 60s may have had paper in oil caps. More commonly, however, the oval can type caps seen in Klipsch crossovers are film and foil in oil. All of those are, of course old enough that they are likely to be bad also.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819310764752_thumb.jpg

As we already discuss the Cross Over filter and I am a new owner of this Klipschorns so.....

Is there any way "within the crossover" filter to adjust the sensivity levels of the mid and tweeter horn.

I've just plugged and played them. But sounds lovely.

Sorry for the Swenglich but I belive you understand any how.

Would prefered a damping in favour for the low frequenses.

BR

Lech

Good points Lech, your 94's should sound lovely. Some of us have tweaked our sound by adjusting the acoustics in our listening rooms. (see Architecture Forum).

Trying to adjust within the crossover network is difficult as changing one value does strange things to other areas of the crossover. I have seen this in action at Klipsch while an engineer worked on a custom network. Changing just the value of one component or the tap on a transformer threw other things out of adjustment. It is all very interrelated.

I'd try room acoustics first.

Michael