Jimmy Buffett Concert Review

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

My wife and I went to a Jimm Buffett concert last night here in Austin at the Paramount Theater. It was a fund raiser for the Kinky Freedman for Governor campaign. Tickets were real pricy because a lot of it was to raise money for the campaign. If you got the real, real pricey tickets you got to meet with JB before and after the show, get your photo taken of him, etc.

The Paramount Theater is one of those grand theaters of yesterday, with a balcony, opera boxes off to the side. The place probably holds about 500 total. Our seats were pretty good, about 11 rows back toward the left. I new it was going to be a completely different show when I saw the stage and there were two stools and four acoustic guitars behind the stools.

Kinky came out and introduced JB. He announced that "Jimmy only wanted one thing when Im elected Governor - - Port Aransas!!!" The Crowd went wild.

Jimmy came out solo, talked a great deal, said how much he loved Texas, how he really liked Austin. Said something I never knew before, he said "it was almost 30 years to the day that I wrote Margaritaville, most of which I wrote in a bar in Austin my friend Nikki brought me to and she is sitting right there. Thank you Nikki, you were right about that bar, that song really paid off, and keeps paying and paying and paying."

He then launched into Changes. He played one or two more and then brought out Mac McAnally (who you know is his regular guitarist with the Coral Reefer Band, and a great writer/producer in his own right). The two of them played together for over two hours, all acoustic, talking a little about each song they played. JB would switch between a 6 and a 12 string from time to time, and seemed to have a great time. Mac was just taking it all in like he always does and did some great picking behind JB. Incredible show, I have only seen him about 20 times--not the 100 plus like most Parrot Heads and had a blast every time, but this show was really fine. It was like he was in your living room playing some songs.

Some photos will follow.

Travis

I've seen him 6 times and he never disappoints. Saw him in 1978 in Biloxi, Mississippi, right after he broke his leg. They were doing the "Son of a Son of a Sailor" tour (great album!) where he performed the whole night on a stool.

I have always been a fan of his and catch him about every 3 years. :)

Mike