Cornwall B3 caps?

klipschaholik

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about the terminal posts, Parts express has them. But they are part of the Klipsch crossover board assymbly. The plastic cups that the caps sit on are also available from Parts express. BEC supplied me with the caps, plastic ties and screw mounts. All I had to do was remove the old caps screw down the mounts and caps and solder the wires. Then have a refreshment!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=41&ObjectGroup_ID=418

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=080-512

Hehe.. I wasn't refering to the barrier strips or cable tie mounts. I guess maybe they are called solder lugs or tabs as pictured

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/6/725428/MVC-008S.JPG.

They kinda look like a 90 degree bent mini fly swatters with a screw going thru the swat end fastening it to the board and the handle sticking up to allow it to act as a junction point for two or more components to be soldered together.

The part on top of the little inductor was just a plastic washer to hold it in place. Should not have been any way for it to be hot. Perhaps the plastic just deteriorated. Anyway, be sure to use a non-magnetic screw through those air core inductors. A steel screw will change the inductance a lot. A brass screw would be good or a stainless steel screw. Klipsch sometimes used the wrong screws in them.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the information. Looks as if the plastic washer was melted. The plastic around the screw was not brittle; it had a bubbly, melted appearance. The wood base seemed a little scorched. Will I be OK just leaving it alone?

Attached photo is a close up of the screw.

post-18740-13819311087496_thumb.jpg

Dean,

Thanks. Ordered two, so both crossovers will be the same. The inductor sure looked ugly. Still sounds fantastic. Probably nothing to worry about...although I think it did get hot in there...can't explain the melted wax. No one would use a candle to work on crossovers? I wonder if the paper surrounding the wire is soaked in wax, and when it got hot started to melt?

I assume hot melt down is the same as hot glue down?

post-18740-13819311100146_thumb.jpg

Ron,

If you put an inductor that is physically bigger in there, you should relocate it somewhere away from the other iron core inductor and autotransformer. I think Klipsch may not have allowed enough space for the one they used in the first place. Proximity to iron effects the inductance of an air core inductor.

Bob