Please suggest a cartridge for my TT

coltrane

Good evening,

Can some of you TT experts on the forum suggest a couple of differen't carts. at differen't levels for my Thorens TD145mkII with the stock tp arm. I am currently using an Ortofon OM 5e which is pretty low end and still sounds pretty good. I know that a cartridge upgrade would definitely make me love the vinyl even that much more. I am using Graham Slee Phono pre amp if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Delano

C'mon TurnTable guys...help the brother out...sorry I can't...I have a DirectDrive Technics Table (SL-1300...thanks for the tip HDBRBuilder) with a Shure V15 Type III...they make fun of me in the school yard...

Bill

That's not such a bad table though, when you need a cartridge try others than Shure, there are better choices out there.....Audio Technica for one....

G'Day OB...this is the most interesting thing...some say the Sun rises and sets on a V15 Type III...while others tell me to buy something new...I don't listen to the table all that much...prefer the CDs to vinyl (I know...it's 'cuz of the Table, right???) but until I fall into a few thousand dollars...I won't be buying a new TT as I seem to have spent WAY too much (but had a LOT of fun along the way) on gear anyway...no regrets with the current systems...just don't know why I need a "system" in every room...[;)]

Bill

Bill; I'm no expert, just remember when Records was all there was. Used many types of cartridges, Shure just seemed a little fragile to me.....had same style table you have, and my ears liked Audio Technica in that set-up with a Shaibata, I think that's it ,stylus, smooth response over the whole range......in that unit........no way I'd ever go back to a turntable, that's just me, not knocking them, just choose not to own one.........Personal Choice......You can overspend on a cartridge real easy, sometimes not right choice for your tone arm causes more problems than solve...........Many people like Shure no matter what......I'm just pointing out another choice.......

I'm pretty good with the old Thorens models. If it's got a belt and a suspension or an idler wheel, I'm pretty good with it. With the stock Thorens tonearm, I have had the best success with Goldring cartridges. The higher up the ladder the better within reason for that tonearm.

Goldring Elektra at about $100 (or ebay BritAudio for $70). Goldring 1012X is in the $200 range. Depends on how much you want to spend. Something about Goldring's and suspended turntables... maybe because Goldring's an old british company, land of the Linn?

With my TD165, the Shure V15V sounded best but yes, it was a fragile thing and the stylus broke twice (replaced for free by Shure). An inexpensive Grado Green sounded good ($60) but couldn't touch the V15. Never heard an Audiotechnica cart in my life. I'd also consider the lower end Dynavector line. Folks have had good luck with them on low mass arms.

If you can find a reliable seller, used is the way to go to get more for your money. My Transfiguration Temper was a demo and I saved more than 50% which is quite a sum for that cart. It's 2+ years old and going strong.

With my TD165, the Shure V15V sounded best but yes, it was a fragile thing and the stylus broke twice (replaced for free by Shure). An inexpensive Grado Green sounded good ($60) but couldn't touch the V15. Never heard an Audiotechnica cart in my life. I'd also consider the lower end Dynavector line. Folks have had good luck with them on low mass arms.

If you can find a reliable seller, used is the way to go to get more for your money. My Transfiguration Temper was a demo and I saved more than 50% which is quite a sum for that cart. It's 2+ years old and going strong.

Gary,

Did you hear any hum with the Grado on your Thorens? I've always liked the Grado Red for it's price range, but never tried it on the Thorens. I had a Sonata on my Linn and it would hum as soon as the needle was placed over the platter. Bothered me knowing it was there.

OB,

s'Funny you say that...in 1979 I bought a Technics SL-D2 Direct Drive turntable...was just starting college and thought "Shure was for Dad, not me."...even though the Shure factory is about a half hours drive from my home...I bought an AudioTechnica Cart (has translucent orange as I recall)...I think the Shure V15 Type IV was out at that time...I only have this cart 'cuz it came on the TT...Bill

Bill, there is such a WIDE variety of cartridges available, it's like some are perfect, and some are way overpriced, nice cartridges, but in the wrong tone arm,it's a waste of money and effort.........have used Shure, Stanton, Pickering, Grado, and really for my taste, liked the Audio Technica.....but it really doesn't matter to me anymore, Vinyl gone, never to return.........the Technics SL-D2 direct drive owned one of those too, they do the job.........Hated mounting cartridges and balancing the tone arm.......Big hands.....No Patience...........

Thanks everybody for the responses.

Scott: You are not the first to recommend the Goldring for my table but now that I heard it from an honest source on this forum it looks like a winner. I am probably going to go for the 1012 and see what happens. I will make sure to report back with my findings.

Thanks again to everyone

Delano

TAS liked Clearaudio Arum Classic $ 199

Grado Gold for less than $ 180 has been fine by me for over 2.5 years now

Shure V 15 is a classic

If I decide to spend 500 -100 it would either be on the Shelter 501 or Grado Sonata.

Ortofon OM-20 is cheap of of AGON; http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1163281818