Got my toys

damonrpayne

Ugh, been too busy to post, but a good kind of busy.

I got my toolkit from the shipper today, 50' mic cord, the Behringer Microphone and mixer from DrWho's recommendations, setting up RPlusD on my machine now. I am hoping to have time to mess around with measurements this weekend. Kudos to DrWho for suggesting what appear to my semi-trained eye to be inexpensive yet well made mixer and mic. I got a long enough mic cord that the laptop (with its fan etc) will not even be in the same room as the mic.

I'll be getting the same setup "shortly" - well at least the mic and mixer so that I can at least run some RTA measurements. With the free shipping and sale on the mixer from musician's friend for orders over $100, you're essentially getting the long mic cable for free [H]

Crap, I almost forgot....

When working with these mixers - try not to push down on the knobs when

you're turning them. In the long run it causes the pots to loosen up

and you get scratching when you turn them.

When testing, you're going to want to use the input trim on the mixer

to adjust volume - and leave all the input levels on your computer to

100%. For the highest resolution you want to keep the DAC's

'saturated'; you don't want to attenuate the signal digitally. And by turning down the volume on the mixer you are going

to improve the S/N ratio. You'll have to find the sweet spot on the

mixer's outputs (or set it to 0 if it's marked), and then adjust with

the input trim of the channel.

Definetly looking forward to your measurements.

Seriously.. we could do / let's do a Klipsch HT "clinic" here this fall. We can show the before and after of "tweeking it" just perfect. Name some times Damon.. you certainly have a free nice place to stay here and I am sure we can enjoy some great movies and music as well too. We all want to learn about RTA's and SPL's and what or how we can maximise everything we have..

I would love to see what my room looks like.. The insulation I just added really made a huge improvement.. I know I need probably some pannels of some sort on the side walls..... But I am real real close to a perfect room, at least as I imagined it from the get go. It looks great, it sounds awesome.... I can't wait to show / share it with some of you like Glen (Picky) has too. It is not so much showing off... More of a WOW... I think your really gonna like this too. As any Klipsch fanatic would LOVE to share with another Klipsch fanatic too.

John, would you happen to have any of the model numbers for your mics? I can go look up their specs and see if they're suitable for measurement taking. I have a feeling they won't be though...you're gonna want something that's like +-0.5dB (in the worst case) from at least 20Hz - 20kHz.

Damon

I can't wait to see what you and Mike are working on. I want to learn this too....

BTW, I have a few microphones laying around if you want to borrow some to take multiple readings at one time. One is a very accurate condensor mic. Also some converters XLR to 1/4" doing nothing.

JM

Oh yes. Maybe we can do your room while we wait on ole boomac to get better?