New TT isolation gadget - cool idea or hype?

rplace

It sounds as good if not better than it did when I had the table sitting on racing cones directly on the phono pre (BDR cone points were on felt pads as the table is now) and I did it this time more for getting the table off the pre as opposed to having an isolation problem which I did not have with this rack setup.

I just wanted to get it up where I could work with it and have it off the phono pre! Seti and I discussed this application but he has 13' ceilings in his music room and he would have way too much play and swing at that length but he does have a nice wide center devider in between his windows behind his system and with something like one of those wall mount TV stands he could mount one there and use some isolation devices on that mount and get rid of his floor bounce that keeps him from enjoying his vinyl now.

I thought for a while that the platter rotation would cause my shelf to sway but once you have ingaged the platter it is balanced so well that the shelf sit motionless while spinning records and sounds phenominal at least IMO[:)]

Dee got a chance to hear it here a few weeks back when he sold me a pair of K-33's and BEC CT-125's and he thought it sounded pretty good just sitting atop the BDR cones on the phono pre. If you ever get down here again I must have you over for a little listening session[;)]

By the way I understand you have had a very good recovery and I'm so glad to here that[:D]

OK Dee, I told you and Seti I was going to go this route and here it is[;)]

Been there done that. While I was attending college back in 1979, I was

living in a trailer with some buddies. Not the best of situations for a

turn table. So, I cut a piece of plywood, put some I-bolts in and

suspended the entire thing with some very heavy duty mono filament. Yes

fishing line used for deep sea trophy fishing. It isolated the

table from the bouncing floor during parties, although it did

sway a little.

Yes sir, if your drop lines (chains, cables or filiments) are not too long this is a real good way to stop hard contact vibration.

This is my third one of these type setups and this ine is really stable, I attribute that to the gable ceiling in my attic. The back cables are very short which IMO stabalizes the sway more than longer equal length runs[;)]

This rig ran $53.00 in hard ware and I just used one of my 9 shelves I had from my wall mount rack that is too tall for this attic to use hence the stsem sitting on the Vantage Point rack! Has worked out well for a cheap tweek[:D]

Why would not hanging a TT platform from lines pick up the frequency of the stretched line? This same principle is the origin of violins, guitars, banjos, and basses, etc. One end serves as the bridge through which the vibrations are conducted to the body. The end conected to the ceiling won't make the ceiling vibrate much, but the TT platform would, no? The frequency for a reasonable length of line would be pretty low... maybe it is below the audible range.

Having unequal length lines would logically reduce sway since they have different vibration periods and might suppress vibration too, but what do those black tailfins on the platform do, other than look cool? Do they keep the platform from swinging against the wall?

Pat on the Island

Hey Pat, the tailfin's are my tribute to the '66 Cadi[:o] Just kidding, they are a case of me being lazy as I just used one of my shelves from my 9 shelf wall unit that was too tall to use in this new attic space. I have kept that rack for re-use some day and the only thing wrong/different in that shelf is it now has 4 holes in it[8-|]

Pauln, at least I think it was Paul! The line I used is 70lb braided 1/8" with greenish sheath. The shelf with fins weighs more than my Torens and the Thorens feet are sitting on felt furniture pads stuck together back to back. She has been running dead quite since I put her up and I'm quite pleased with the results[:P]

As far as sway once I drop the needle I just use one hand to simply stable the entire shelf and she does not budge or wobble that I can see or hear[:D]

Wall unit:

post-18681-138193147729_thumb.jpg

As a resident curmudgeon, it never fails to amuse me that so many would seriously consider investing in such 'advanced' technology based upon an "it looks exotic" factor while we will once again soon be treated to listening to the myriad folks come out of the woodwork complaining that spending ~$300 on having their room professionally analyzed (TEFed), thus allowing for very specific acoustical tuning, is an unreasonable extravagance.

Personally I think the blue interconnect insulation exhibits much better sonics than the black insulated interconnect. But then, neither compare to the lime green and neon purple candy striped interconnect.

I am not going to spend allot of time with this, but just one observation...using 4 feet to level a surface? Wow, talk about making more problems that you have to overcome! Three feet are much more efficient and MUCH easier in leveling a surface than four feet! You don't need a degree, just go play with your washing machine as it walks across the room!

And yes, I do understand resonance and damping! I can certainly appreciate decoupling a turntable surface from both airborne and surface induced vibration. And any reputable manufacturer of such products can provide detailed measured response and specs! And I also get a grin out of the perceived need to tightly couple surfaces in order that they may be more efficiently decoupled. Fundamental mechanics aside guys, I can easily see how gold plating (or even solid gold hardware) is also critical to the effort. And one would think that they could at least align the magnets vertically on the same axis! And What? No pyramid? [:P]

There are much easier and more significant measures of such a unit's effectiveness that relegate such speculation moot. The lack of such independently verifiable measures speak volumes.

But, as usual...each is free to pursue whatever path floats their boat - or in this case, their turntable. After all, one's belief trumps mechanics in almost every instance! I mean, just look at how most folks drive a car! But, while you are at it, don't forget to isolate the unit from cosmic rays and neutrinos (especially those nasty boogers featuring right handed chirality!).[:P]

And please, if my unabashed tongue-in-cheek dry wit offends, by all means disregard my comments. I am simply trying to have a bit of fun and perhaps raise a few small points. But what do I know - after all, I am the guy that buys my interconnnects based upon the insulation color! (and claims to hear a difference...in my wallet!)...[:o][:P][;)][:^)]

Too funny Mas, I 'm not sure if you have read all my thread entries here but I really did this because I wanted my table off the top of my phono pre and to get it up in my face when I'm working with it. I'm sure this hung shelf has plenty of flaws but I can't see or hear any of them when I'm playing it and for what I needed i thinks it's was a worthwhile spend and outcome[;)]

You need some like humor just check out some of MaxG's finding on cable manufacturers and their show presentations[:P]

I think in my latest Stereophile (Got it yesterday and skimmed) but the article by Mikey Fremmer on the multi thousand dollar Tara IC's is going to be a funny read for me because if I had a billion dollars I would not pay any more than 5 bones for any wire, for Christ Sakes it's only wire! There are only so many ways a cat can be skinned and for the return on investment I will never see some of these cables prices[:o]