Cornwall help please.

cubdog

There are two pair of Cornwall for sale locally to me. One is an older pair with the screw type speaker conections in walnut. The paper label is in the old style script. I do not have a date or serial # yet. The second pair is from 86 and are CBR. Both appear to be in excellent condition. The older pair is $100 less than the newer version. Which pair would the experts recommend? Thanks.

cubdog

Well the older $800 pair are gone. I called 5 minutes after they were posted on craigslist but the seller just called to tell me he sold them. Damn, they were the pair I was leaning toward. $900 seems a bit steep unless they are in mint condition. This is the second pair I have just missed this month.

cubdog

Cubdog,

Sorry it did not work out, but let me cheer you up. I thought $900 was a bit pricey, unless the finish & condition are something very special. Don't assume the older ones were "verticals" those are somewhat rare.

Regarding CW vs CW2, personally I find the CW2 to have a bit less "honkiness" in the midrange (I have a CW 2 at home). Others may disagree. One of the difficultities in making these statements is that there were various "within series" modifications that were made in both the crossover, horn orientation, and choice of drivers. I don't think there is a clear consensus on which is "best".

Craigs list and local classifieds are a great way to track these down. I have become dismayed with e-Bay. With patience, I think you can get a much better price.

Good luck,

-Tom

Remember that if they're close by, it can save you a day's worth of travel and gas. That's got to be worth a couple hundred $$. But I thought the prices a bit steep also, unless they were in very good cosmetic condition, which most aren't.

I've been paying $500 for pairs reasonably close by but CBR style and some scratches and chips from the veneer.

M

Sorry, I am the one that swooped you on the Cornwalls, they were advertised as early 60's vintage when in fact they were 1969 vintage, K33P, K55V, and K77 driver compliment, very nice shape overall, cabinets do not appear to be plywood, I am not sure though. I would pass on the Cornwall II's at the price the other guy is asking.

Sorry, I am the one that swooped you on the Cornwalls, they were advertised as early 60's vintage when in fact they were 1969 vintage, K33P, K55V, and K77 driver compliment, very nice shape overall, cabinets do not appear to be plywood, I am not sure though. I would pass on the Cornwall II's at the price the other guy is asking.

Congratulations!

cubdog

That's the thing though, they do not appear to be plywood, looks like some kind of veneer of a solid core. I have seen many cornwalls and none like this.

On some vintage models the back and back edges were painted a medium brown, which would obscure the 7 ply birch construction. The fronts were edge banded on veneered models so you wouldn't see the plys there. If you opened the back you should see plies on the back panel and if there are riser bases they should also be made of the 3/4" 7 ply material.

I can't imagine any Klipsch speaker of this vintage NOT being made of 7 ply Birch.

M