when switching from the VTL to Mc 2505/C-26 combo at 50WPC. Will

the mid and top end presentation be as smooth and image as well with

'34's? Giving serious consideration to a re-built Dynaco ST-70. Does

tube rectification have a direct effect on the fullness or depth of

sound. Oh the decisions.

Rich

Three letter answer:

V R D

Get yourself a pair of NOSValves VRDs - a KT88 based amplifer with 60 liquid, full bandwidth watts per channel, and every issue you addressed will be addressed. These are built to order from Craig (aka NOSValves) here on the forum.

The Dynaco 70 is a nice amp, but the VRDs are in a class wayyyyy above - there's a reason so many here have them - they are the ideal push pull power amps for the big Heritage Klipsch. What you are asking for (tubes with deep, tight bass with overall liquidity) isn't cheap...it takes large and quality iron and power supply (in a tube rectified design, preferably) to do this. The bass is the hard (and expensive) part. The VRDs deliver - tailor made for what you are asking for, and tailor made for the big Klipsch. Might be the last amps you'll ever need for Klipsch.

McIntosh MC60s (vintage) would be pretty good, too.

Hi Rich,

It's a job to know which amplifier is going to sound best with any given loudspeaker. There are so many variables involved. Lower power tube amps do not necessarily mean diminished bass response. Likewise, higher power tube amps do not necessarily mean increased bass response, either. There is no automatic rule. Things like capacitance, transformer size, circuit design, and choice of tubes, all play an important part in giving an amplifier its sonic signature and performance capabilities. The trick is in finding the right amplifier to suit your particular loudspeaker and desired tastes.

You've already established that your 25 WPC VTL Tiny Triodes, while sounding excellent in the mids and upper ranges, are not satisfying your thirst for low-mid and bass slam, so indeed it is quite possible that you are going to have to change amplifiers to reach your desired goal. The problem is without access to a number of different amplifiers to try, that goal is somewhat hindered.

Although I have used tube equipment for many years, I am new to Klipsch loudspeakers, and can only recommend the Quicksilver set-up I am using now that drives my Cornwall IIIs, which, incidentally, is doing a brilliant job. No lack of slam and power from this set-up.

Thankfully, however, the folks on this website have years of experience in using different amplifiers to drive their Klipsch loudspeakers, and are in a much better position to offer you advice.

With that said, I have found the following models to offer excellent results in the areas of bass slam and power for the little money they can be purchased for these days. In no particular order or regard for price, they are: Dynaco ST-70; NYAL Moscode 300 (hybrid); Quicksilver 8417; Audio Research Classic 30; EAR 549 (hard to find); Eico HF-20 (great transformers), to name a few.

I hope this helps (a bit, anyway).

William